Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lost in a drag racing

serge_saati
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Today I participate into a 1/4 miles drag racing with my Windstar 99 3.8L, but I lost:frown:

My ET was 18.676s @ 71.09 mph.

I thought that I'll be able to do better than that. I should make some engine tune-up to win next time.

My peak power is 200HP @ 4900 rpm.

AWP9521
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm assuming you were bracket racing, all the power in the world won't make you win, you need to get good reaction times (.520 or less) on the line and the vehicle must run consistently each run down the track (in your case 18.67 every time) to win races.

You can tune it up if you want, may gain a tenth or 2 if you think it's running that badly, but still without cutting good reactions and running the number each run the chances of winning slip farther and farther away.

Post some your reaction times and some other time runs and lets have a gander at how you did.

serge_saati
06-05-2009, 11:38 PM
No it was a straight race. No bracket allowed.

Most of the competitors have Mazda-3, Honda Civic 98, VW Golf 98... all tuned of course.

My competitor have a Mazda-3, his ET was 15.553s @ 91.46mph.

Usually my van works very well, very powerful (0-60 in 9s), but this time, it was so slow.

I just realized that when I apply full throttle, it's much slower than when I press the gas normally.

I think that Ford has programmed the chip so that the car doesn't accelerate too much if I accelerate too fast, so I don't hit the car in front of me on the road.

It was why it lacked of power.

I should do more practice before the next race on Thursday, I'll keep you informed.

BTW, I like your signature :lol:.

serge_saati
06-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Forget to tell, my reaction time was 1.272s.

I've good reflex, but the car didn't react instantly, because of the electronic power limiter.

Next time, I'll start accelerating at the last orange light.

VR43000GT
06-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Ford did not make anything to limit the power when you go wide open throttle on your Windstar. Truth be told, it is in fact a windstar and not even a mildly quick drag car so it isn't going to be putting down fast times, it just won't. While it can do a lot of things my car can't (ie. carry more than one other person), it wasn't cut out in any way for any kind of racing. Let us know how your next run goes.

serge_saati
06-06-2009, 05:19 PM
The Windstar is more powerful than you think. It can go 0-60 in 9s, I already do it. 3.8L and 200HP is good. I cannot beat a porsche, but it still good.

Yes, when I floor it suddenly, it takes 1 sec before reacting and accelerate slowly. Like if the car is afraid of accelerating to suddenly. But when I accelerate normaly, it react instantly and accelerate faster.

So I think that the engine computer is programmed for that, for safety. So if you confuses the accelerator with the brake, you will not kill yourself... So I must practice with this accelerator to find out the best way to start up.

It my first race, it's why I make poor result.

-The Stig-
06-06-2009, 06:01 PM
The Windstar is more powerful than you think. It can go 0-60 in 9s, I already do it. 3.8L and 200HP is good. I cannot beat a porsche, but it still good.

Well, good luck with that.

VR43000GT
06-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Well, good luck with that.

:lol:

In all honesty, that is cool if you take your Windstar or anything else to the track as long as you're having fun. And the thing is, I do know how quick, or slow, depending how you look at it, a Windstar is as I have driven one many times. Listen, I am not dogging on you for racing it, just keeping a reality check in order. The fact is, you drive an almost 19 second van and that is what it is. I consider my car to not be that fast and it is good for a low 13 second to a high 12 second run. If you are looking a a vehicle that runs 18+ second 1/4 miles, that is simpily pure slow. Like I said though, it is a van, and it can do many things, just not race.

serge_saati
06-07-2009, 08:08 AM
You said that 3000GT VR4 is not fast? If you were in my area, you'll win many races with it.
Here, most peoples have Honda Civic 98 with 1.5L. I think I should be able to beat them too.

Also my check engine is on. If I do some repair on it, I think I should win.

CassiesMan
06-07-2009, 10:49 AM
My car is running like ass, and I'm still cutting out 0-60 better than nine seconds...0-60 in the nines is good for a minivan...not a whole lot else. If you want something big but fast, ditch the minivan and get one of those Tahoe SSes...cammed one was idling next to me yesterday, kee riced all my tee that thing was sick sounding...

serge_saati
06-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I still want to keep it. Maybe I will install a turbocharger with intercooler and blow-off valve, it will accelerate faster. I can also install a better fuel pump.

VR43000GT
06-07-2009, 05:17 PM
To install a turbo kit on the Ford 3.8L would be a substantially huge job and would take considerable amounts of automotive technical knowledge and money. On top of that, you would have to beef everything up including your trans which would explode with any amount of good power.

As for my VR4, it is quicker and fun to drive, but I wouldn't consider it to be all that fast. It just all depends the environment your in I suppose. With the people I hang out with I have one of the slower cars as even a couple of them have 700+hp VR4's, and even one guy with a 850 wheel horsepower 300ZX with NO spray. Then, there are some people, who including me, also drive a SL 3000gt as a daily driver or while they are working on their VR4.

serge_saati
06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
thanks for that info

MrPbody
06-08-2009, 12:15 PM
The difference in throttle response from part-throttle to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is from the difference in the velocity of the air passing through. When you open the throttle PART way, the velocity remains high. When you open it all the way all at once, the volume overwhelms the "low pressure" area in the plenum and drastically slows the air down.

A solution could be to install a "throttle stop" with programmable "points" where it is on or off. We do it on the race car. For "burnouts", it only opens the throttle part way, but once a certain RPM is reached, the throttle opens all the way.

Don't worry about racing the mini van. My sister got a ticket in 1969 for racing her Rambler American (L-head 6, 80 HP) against a Corvair (140, ragged out). It's okay to race ANYTHING! Hell, the rednecks around here even race lawn mowers! (harder to get a DUI, I think...) Just be prepared to have your ass handed to you if you're out-gunned by your chosen "prey".

Jim

serge_saati
06-08-2009, 05:40 PM
The difference in throttle response from part-throttle to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) is from the difference in the velocity of the air passing through. When you open the throttle PART way, the velocity remains high. When you open it all the way all at once, the volume overwhelms the "low pressure" area in the plenum and drastically slows the air down.

Ok, now I understand!
My air/fuel mixture was too rich at start up, it's why it reacts slowly.

serge_saati
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
I know why I made so poor result. I just scan my car's codes, and make a diagnosis, I have a vacuum leak. My scanner tell me that my engine is running too lean.

This affect the horsepower a lot.

I should service my engine before doing any further races.

VR43000GT
06-19-2009, 02:31 AM
If you are running lean the least thing I would be worried about is HP loss. Running lean will result in internal damage inside your motor.

serge_saati
06-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for that, I'll bring my van to the garage now.

AMGalltheway
07-28-2009, 08:55 AM
And I thought i was the only one on these boards running something slow! How do you launch the beast just mash the gas or do you brake launch? also keep your fluids in check if you let them run too low you will break something.

serge_saati
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Just mash the gas.

Cause I don't wan't to wear my new brakes nor damage my torque converter.

AMGalltheway
07-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah i understand for me it will burn tranny fluid if i do it too much. but yeah you should try it a few times to see if it helps and if you are serious about putting money at this thing...
Just mash the gas.
I still want to keep it. Maybe I will install a turbocharger with intercooler and blow-off valve, it will accelerate faster. I can also install a better fuel pump.
also try to see if you can get a better tranny or stall converter.

serge_saati
07-29-2009, 08:36 PM
No, I can't install a better transmission in this van. It'll not fit.

kitten2686
08-12-2009, 04:02 PM
you win some you loose some.

Racingcooler
08-21-2009, 07:50 PM
You guys are really good.... I have to say I love the Dragracers , you guys are so supportive. The Windstar is a really heavy vehicle for that 200 HP to carrry, suspension was built of comfort, not speed, and it will never be a race car. I have to give you all the support in the world for hittin it at the track! The guys are right about reaction times, work on your foot braking, Baby it out of the whole and deep stage it. The only thing that will boost that ride is Juice and a quick eye /consistant lights. If you want some easy HP you can ck out Racingcoolers.com Ask for what you need , refreezable gel coolers to cool down between rounds ,They are designing universal coolers now for several different applications. The cooler you keep your air intake temp mixing with fuel , the better your ride will perform .Good Luck and never stop racing no matter what you drive!

serge_saati
08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for your support.

In fact, 50 miles after writing my n°18 post, my engine has completely blown. Because my mixture was too lean. Exactly like SL3000gt has predicted. I was not raced when it happens, just driving in the city.

So, I'll probably buy a new Windstar cause this one is KO. But I'll never race with a Windstar again. Even if it's a fast car, it's not made for race, like you all said.
Don't want to blown another engine again.

Also, I'll probably buy a more sporty car, like Charger SRT8, for drag racing.
Or a G8.

GForce957
09-02-2009, 06:30 PM
If u actually think a windstar is fast, take it easy with an srt8 or G8, they are going to feel like rockets.

AWP9521
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
If u actually think a windstar is fast, take it easy with an srt8 or G8, they are going to feel like rockets.
Boy i'll say, first time he stomps on the gas he may first say it (s**t!) then do it!

serge_saati
09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
My car had a problem (vacuum leak), it's why it was slow.

But usually the Windstar is very powerful. It's made for towing a 3500lbs boat on the mountain.

I remember with my 98 Windstar, my back hit the seat when I slightly press the gas. And the tires slip a lot.

sub006
01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Wow, a minivan which people assume is fwd, with sticky tires, stock hubcaps and some "surprises" under that body, could be a real money-making "Q-ship"!

"Yeah, I'll run my wife's van against ya for two grand, how about pinks?" (Act a little tipsy when you say this)

serge_saati
01-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow, a minivan which people assume is fwd, with sticky tires, stock hubcaps and some "surprises" under that body, could be a real money-making "Q-ship"!

"Yeah, I'll run my wife's van against ya for two grand, how about pinks?" (Act a little tipsy when you say this)

This van has been totaled, unfortunately. The new one is old and weak.

But 2 years ago, I've a 98 who was very fast. 0-60 in 8 secs. Don't laugh at it. When I hit the gas, my back hit the seat violently.

DraginRat
09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, unless you are driving a top fuel car, you should already be leaving on the bottom bulb (amber of course) and maybe from your RT, you may want to leave on the middle bulb.

As far as putting a turbo or any "go fast" parts on your car. Unless you have something to prove, and a lot of money to spend on it, I would suggest you find something a bit more appropriate for the task.

What track did you find a "heads-up" race for cars in your class? I would love to find a true "bracket" race to run in, but not a lot of them around here (Colorado/Texas)

And finally, for those who may confuse the two, there is a difference between a "bracket" race, and ET racing.

Ken Gasbarri

serge_saati
09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
:lol: Haha ok...
Yes, I'll never use my Windstar again for that, I just wanted to prove that a minivan can be fast...

My track was at Mirabel Airport in QC. This airport is definitively closed, so we use it for street race. Lot of space and flat road.

Yes it was a "heads-up" race. Mixed class. Mean that a Chevy Cavalier can run against a Ferrari Enzo. Each one run against his friend. Mine has a Mazda 3 sedan.

waiting in queue for the race from a Windstar 99.

Add your comment to this topic!