Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 cavalier and 98 cavalier... help?

Shelby<3'scavvy
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Ok. the deal-e-o is this. I totaled my 95, trans and engine are golden. I just bought a 98 RS, which has a rod knocking about to go through the block. The plan is to drop the 98 RS engine(a 2.2 it better be) thru the top with a cherry picker, and then put my 95 block in place of the bad one, but use the 98 RS tranny, and electronics, all the while trying somehow to save the air conditioning.... which probably will not happen. any comments, how to, or warnings?

toddman67
06-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I would probably take a few pics in and out of the engine bay. Make sure the engine blocks are compatible and use all the sensors etc. out of the '98. Swap all the parts over while the engines are out of the cars. There will be some differences between the two almost certainly. Just make sure everything hooks up for the '98 configuation.

Shelby<3'scavvy
06-05-2009, 12:11 AM
ok well it appears that this is retarded. i guess im taking out the engine and buying a new crank kit. ughhhh. why cant the engines be the same like HONESTLY. but whatever that is probably less stress anyways

toddman67
06-05-2009, 05:18 AM
I would'nt get to excited over this. I meerly suggested that you do an overall investigation to see if things look compatible. I'm not telling you that these 2 blocks are different because I don't know, however I would guess that there are differences due to the difference in years. The problem is that the ECU for the '98 will not provide the necessary hook ups and sensors for the '95 engine. So essentually you would need to swap over all the components that are different for the car to work properly.
On another note, The crankshaft numbers for the 2 different engines are not the same. I did look up a crank shaft bearing kit for the '98 and it will run you just under $200 at advance auto. This cost could be offset from the sale of the other engine and trans from the '95. Just a thought.

Option 2 would be to install verything from the '95 into the '98 including the wiring harness and ECU, but this may cause some issues as well.
In my opinoin changing the crank and bearings is the best way to go and sell the other car for parts to refund your expenses.

Perhaps someone else has done this change out before that could correct my suspections and could provide you with some better insite.

Shelby<3'scavvy
06-06-2009, 11:51 PM
yeah thanks!! that helps. yeah i would have to fabricate and stuff to make the 95 work. its too much. but i am just redoing whatever is needed its going to run about $325 plus fluids so yeah. im going to spend the money now while i have the engine out!!

Classicrocjunkie
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
95-97 - 2.2L OHV LN2
98-02 - 2.2L OHV LN4
02-05 - 2.2L DOHC "Ecotec" L61
96-02 - 2.4L DOHC LD9
95 - 2.3L DOHC "Quad4"

Your going to have some issues if you keep the same engine wiring harness and putting it into an OBDII car.

Add your comment to this topic!