Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Voltage regulator bypass test ... dangerous?

RL2000
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Isn't it potentially dangerous to bypass the voltage regulator, being that more amps will come out of the alternator and into the computer's electrical system?

I know it's easy to test a regulator for allowing too much voltage, by simply connecting a volt meter to a the battery terminals and doing a load test.

But the regulator can also allow too little voltage, and since the alternator can do the same, that's why it's important to do a voltage regulator bypass test.

But it just seems like it would put at risk the computers, etc. in the car by throwing through full power from the alternator? Or does the batter act as a means to take the extra punch before it goes out to the rest of the car?

I'm just a little nervous doing a regulator bypass test with today's cars having so many electronics and computers... the damage could be a catastrophe!

Thanks!

AzTumbleweed
06-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd say that it all goes to the battery. Everything electrical will just draw what it needs. What kind of problem are you having? I just replaced my regulator and brushes. All I really needed was the brushes.

RL2000
06-04-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd say that it all goes to the battery. Everything electrical will just draw what it needs. What kind of problem are you having? I just replaced my regulator and brushes. All I really needed was the brushes.

I think you're right. Otherwise, why would they tell you (on the voltage regulator) to "ground here to test" if it put the system at such risk?

I do know that the battery acts as a voltage stabilizer, so that makes sense.

I'm actually learning mechanics, and I've been on alternators and the charging system lately. That's why I ask. :)

Thanks!

AzTumbleweed
06-04-2009, 08:49 PM
When I worked on tanks for the Army we'd by-pass the regulator when we had a charging problem. If it started charging then you'd know the regulator was the problem. These were 300 Amp systems.

RL2000
06-04-2009, 11:22 PM
When I worked on tanks for the Army we'd by-pass the regulator when we had a charging problem. If it started charging then you'd know the regulator was the problem. These were 300 Amp systems.

That's awesome!

It makes sense though, and apparently the manufacturers have deemed it an acceptable way of testing.

Add your comment to this topic!