Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What car could last a half million miles?

abelhands
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Hello:
I have always had this goal in the back of my head to buy a new car or slightly used one and drive it for at least a half million miles. Do you think it's possible with the current BMW 3 series? I hear they do have some reliability issues, is that a concern of anyone? I realize its too new now to know if cars are capable of getting to that point at a reasonable cost to the owner. I realize maintence is very important, that would be well taken care of, as well as garage parking. I am considering a 2009 BMW 328i manual transmission 4 door sedan. I would definitely take advantage of the service from BMW unti it ran up then I have a German car mechanic who I use currently for my 95 5 series. I am also considering some other cars as well, I will list them, feel free to make any comments about this post, I would love to hear your thoughts.

I realize some of the cars I have listed are not in the same class as the BMW 3 series. Its just cars that I like and that I would consider owning for that period of time. I have heard that Lexus, Mercedes and Volvo are good candidates for lot's of mileage, considering they have several cars as examples with high mileage, including the Guiness book of world records guy who owns a Volvo with near 2 million miles.

My top choice is the 3 series, but I'm not completely convinced from the guys at Bimmerfest & Bimmerforums that it could make it. Thoughts?

I am considering these cars.
2003 BMW 530i (manual)
2009 BMW 328i (manual)
2009 Lexus ES350
2009 Volvo S80
2009 Infiniti G37 (sedan)
2009 Lexus LS

kris
06-04-2009, 08:17 AM
All those cars are loaded with lots of electronics, which will be the downfall of your goal.

Do a quick search on google and you can find lots of info on the 500k mark.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveonaCar/CarsThatLastAMillionMiles.aspx

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/dodge/ray-van.html

Ray paulsen
06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Reading your post half way through the Volvo entered my mind , and was happy to note you included the Volvo in your selection.

In a half million mile race, my two bits are with the Volvo.

fumilayo
06-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Generally speaking, a car will run as good as the person taking care of it.
Buy an old VW beetle, rebuild the engine, keep changing your oil!!!!
You might get 500k. That's a tall order.

Add your comment to this topic!