Headliner question

Torqued
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM
OK, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to interior work. What is the best (means quickest, cheapest, and easiest) way to reattach a headliner that is starting to droop down? This is my commuter car, now, I'm not trying to sell it as a classic.

Woodie83
06-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Quickest, easiest, and cheapest rarely works in this case. The only way to truly fix it is to remove the board completely, clean all the rotten foam off of it, then glue it back together using headliner glue.

1gasenvy1
06-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Quickest, easiest, and cheapest rarely works in this case. The only way to truly fix it is to remove the board completely, clean all the rotten foam off of it, then glue it back together using headliner glue.

Remove all the plastic supports, visors and handles from the interior. Open the back hatch if it's a HB. Stick a broom handle all the way to the front windshield. Be carefull not to "scar" the roofline with the end of the broom stick while pulling down gently (I did this on my first repair). You don't want to bend the cheesey cardboard form. It should release from the metal roof without any problem.
After removal, pull the thin layer of cloth from the headliner. At this time your are ready to re-apply a new cover to the cardboard form. Hancock Fabric, has headliner material. You should be able to get this type at other fabric stores as well, it's a common problem. Apply the spray adhesive designed for this type of material which they should have as well, to both the fabric and cheesey cardboard form. Make sure you have about 2 inches of fabric beyond the edge of the cardboard and fold it over so you have a nice soft edge all around. With you hand press the fabric into the shape of the headliner and your done. Wait 24 hour before you re-install. Use some paneling adhesive to re-attach to roof. It will look like new. $40 bucks and about
2 hours work and she looks like new.:)

doug2060
06-03-2009, 03:14 PM
A quick cheap way:
Take it outt and clean it off like Woodie said and use plain old elmers glue to paint the entire board (thin coat). Then pull the original cloth if possible tighly over it and let dry. I did this once. I know it sounds lame but it's a cheap and easy fix.

Johnny Mullet
06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Go to Walmart or a fabric store and look for the "twist pins" They look like thumbtacks with pigtails. Screw them in with your desired pattern and colors and you now have a "quilted" headliner that stays off your head.

Torqued
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Go to Walmart or a fabric store and look for the "twist pins" They look like thumbtacks with pigtails. Screw them in with your desired pattern and colors and you now have a "quilted" headliner that stays off your head.

Thanks. Now that sounds quick, easy and cheap.

1gasenvy1
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
I thought I was the cheap guy on this forum after all I have owned 6 Geos/Geo Metros/Chevy Metros...well, stick pins and re-gluing the fabric beat me. Keep em comming.

Add your comment to this topic!