Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mustang chip/programmer

d_crosson
06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I just got my 2006 Mustang GT and I am new to the performance world. I am wanting to upgrade to a larger throttle body, cold air intake and was thinking about a chip/programmer wondering if a chip/programmer is worth it or not. Also wondering what order I should purchase them in. I can only afford to buy one part at a time for now.

BigDanTheMan
06-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Intake then TB then way later chip. Generally a new computer won't ad anything until more advanced modifications have been applied, and the stock E.C.U. is smart enough to handle those simple modifications.

d_crosson
06-03-2009, 01:01 AM
My other question then is what are some good brands of cold air intakes. I have been looking at K&N the most but BBK as well. What is better between the two?

BigDanTheMan
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
tough to say really. I use morosso's: http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=34002

You need to watch out for those chrome ones because they can heat up and then you lose much of your cold air advantage. The fender wall design should pull in more cold air, but i am suspicious that I am getting a little bit of water with my cold air when it rains.

The last thing you want is the mac ram air kit that has a scoop that picks up air off the pavement away from the engine block. 1) on a hot day the air down there can be just as hot. 2) there sure is a lot of dirt down there too 3) the piping is so long and contorted that you will lose much of the velocity.

Add your comment to this topic!