Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Dodge Caravan; engine cranks but won't turn over

wolverkynj
06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a 94 Dodge Caravan and recently it won't start. The engine cranks and cranks but it won't catch and turn over. There is also a humming as if something is turning on or trying to turn on when I start cranking the engine and then it stops soon after I stop cranking. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks,

RIP
06-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Which engine?

wolverkynj
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
3.0 Liter V6

tempfixit
06-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Do you have spark?

Do you have fuel at fuel rail?

Try a shot of ether or wd40 at the throttle body and see if it runs then?

RIP
06-03-2009, 03:15 AM
3.0 Liter V6

I'm jumping ahead a few steps but the humming you hear caught my attention. The 3.0 ltr engine uses a timing belt (TB). If the TB has broken, the valve train (intake/exhaust valves/lifters/rocker arms/springs/etc) will remain stationary as you crank the engine. This prevents the engine from creating any compression because the intake and/or exhaust valves remain open. That means as you crank, the lower half of the engine (crankshaft/pistons) will spin much faster due to the lack of resistance from the loss of compression. This can create a noise that could be described as a hum.

To verify, pull the distributor cap far enough away from the distributor so you can see the rotor on the distributor. If the rotor doesn't turn when you turn the key to start, the TB is broken. No distributor cap? Another way may be as easy as removing the oil fill cap on the valve cover. Not sure it's visible but look for moving rocker arms as you crank the engine. If you can see they aren't moving, the TB is broken. Another indication is lack of spark on all cylinders though you have to first verify the PCM is providing a pulse to the coil and the coil is good. A compression test is another way to confirm. With a broken TB, the engine will crank all day but won't start.

jpb53
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
humming is probably the fuel pump it energizes for about 2 seconds at key on. Then is re-energized when PCM gets cam and crank sensor inputs. Maybe the tank is empty. Try what temp says and try another source of fuel. Could be the sending unit is bad.

Bassist87
06-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Same problem here guys. TB fine, It'll run on ether, New fuel filter, Fuel pump hums as it always has. And is it a have to, to drop the tank to get to the fuel pump or is there an easier way?

Add your comment to this topic!