Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Pontiac Trans Sport OBD Scanner/Reader

Meridivs
06-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Hello everybody!
Recently I had a problem with my 92 Pontiac Trans Sport 3.1 TBI - the engine shut down in mid traffic and wouldn't want to start (it turns but never catches) leaving the Check engine light on.

I'm looking for an OBD Scanner for these types of situations - i already checked amazon.com, eBay, and some other auto parts stores.

Is there any for sale on the internet and if yes can you please tell me where can I find one (online store address)? Also, if you can recommend one particular model you've tried I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you!

nicke66
06-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Jump pin A and B in the OBD connector (the two tin in the upper row to the right) and turn on the key. You should then be able to read the codes flashing the CEL.

Jeffrv
06-05-2009, 07:01 PM
About 4 or 5 years ago i bought an Actron scanner, 9200 series. Dont' have the exact number, as I am in the middle of moving/renovating the house and all my tools and manuals are stored off site. I like it as it has interchanagble cartridges, for OBD 1 Gm, Ford and generic OBD2. Shows the codes, as well as raw data stream for engine data. I did buy if off Ebay, and am pleased with it.
As mentioned by Nicke66, you should be able to at least get pointed in the right direction by "flashing" the codes, a paper clip of cotter pin works great to jump the terminals on the ALDL connecter, located at the bottom of the instrument panel beside the steering column.
Good luck
Jeff

Meridivs
06-06-2009, 05:58 AM
If I jump the terminals with key on the engine fan would come on but the Check Engine Light won't flash.

I think I need a scanner to get anything out of this one.

nicke66
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
If I jump the terminals with key on the engine fan would come on but the Check Engine Light won't flash.

I think I need a scanner to get anything out of this one.

Flashing the codes should work, strange....

3.1 l TBI is using the old ALDL 160 baud protocol for OBD. If you get an ALDL-interface and to connect your car to a laptop you should be able to use John Bylunds WinALDL software http://winaldl.joby.se/

There are also instruction on John's webpage how to build an interface yourself.

Add your comment to this topic!