Starting Problems; 1999 Grand AM GT! Please Help!

LovesKiss
05-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Hi Everyone! I have a 1999 Grand AM GT and about a week ago, when I tried to start my car, instead of starting, it just made a weird noise (almost like a growl), and everything faded out. It sounded like it wanted to start, but then died out. The radio is always left on, and at the "on" position, the radio came on, but when I tried to start it, it faded out, kinda like someone just turned the volume down, but then the car just died. And while this was happening, the "dinger" was beeping reallly fast (almost like a flutter). Since that time, it won't start on the first try, it takes usually 2, but as many as 3 tries before it will start. Any ideas or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated, as I don't know what would cause this. Also, the fuel was recently treated with fuel injector cleaner. The car has 112,000 miles on it, and I just bought it about a month ago.

xeroinfinity
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Welcome to AF !!

Sorry for the way late reply! Your post was in a section that is going to be closing.

If you are still having troubles, check the battery voltage. It should be between 12.5-13+ volts with the car not running. When its running it should be at least 14 volts or more.
Id also check the cables, make sure they are clean and tight.

Other then that I'd say maybe its time for a tune up, plug & wires. Seeing how you just bought it, its hard to tell how recently the last tune up was....

Add your comment to this topic!