Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 buick regal grand sport starting problems

burny36
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
my 95 buick regal grand sport starts fine when it is cold and will drive as long as you want. but once you park it for 15 min after it is hot it will not start. the engine will have to cool down before it can be started again.

the spark plugs have been replaced the fuel filter has been replaced and the fuel injectors have been cleaned.

what is wrong?

HotZ28
05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Which engine, 3.1 or 3.8?

Ruley73
05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Which engine, 3.1 or 3.8?

Gran Sport Regals only came with the 3800.

I'm thinking that the crankshaft position sensor is starting to fail. The sensor is unable to get a reference signal when you turn it over and ignition spark cannot be produced as a result.

Next time it won't start, have an assistant turn the car over while you pour water down the side of the engine near the crankshaft pulley. It should start within a few seconds when you do this.

burny36
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
i drove the car today and it would not accelerate pas 50 miles per hour. when the gas peddle is floored the engine does not accelerate and seems to struggle to keep going. ive been reading on the forums and i am wondering if it could be the fuel pump resistor the or the pump itself. how would i be able to find out which it is.

Ruley73
06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
i drove the car today and it would not accelerate pas 50 miles per hour. when the gas peddle is floored the engine does not accelerate and seems to struggle to keep going. ive been reading on the forums and i am wondering if it could be the fuel pump resistor the or the pump itself. how would i be able to find out which it is.

My guess is that the plug wires are bad or the fuel pump is weak. One of the ignition coils could be bad too. I would also check the ground cable going to the engine. I'm not sure what fuel pump resistor you are referring to. If you mean the fuel pressure regulator, that typically causes hard cold starts and an occasional misfire at cruising speeds, but I don't believe that is your problem.

burny36
06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
today the car started great when it was cold. i pushed in the valve where you put a fuel pressure gauge and it squirted fuel at me. i drove it around and got it up to operating temperature. i parked it and shut the car off. waited about 5 min and the car would not start. i pulled a plug and it sparked, i pushed in the valve and fuel came out. i took a hose and sprayed down the cps and nothing changed it still wouldn't start or even sputter.

i noticed that the abs light is on and the security light is on. they are not blinking just on.

what do i do now?

Ruley73
06-03-2009, 10:59 PM
today the car started great when it was cold. i pushed in the valve where you put a fuel pressure gauge and it squirted fuel at me. i drove it around and got it up to operating temperature. i parked it and shut the car off. waited about 5 min and the car would not start. i pulled a plug and it sparked, i pushed in the valve and fuel came out. i took a hose and sprayed down the cps and nothing changed it still wouldn't start or even sputter.

i noticed that the abs light is on and the security light is on. they are not blinking just on.

what do i do now?

Does the ABS & security lights stay on after the engine is running? Also, when the engine won't start does it still turn over ok? Alternator may be going out if the starter doesn't turn over that well. Don't just assume it's fine because the battery light doesn't come on while the engine is running. They often times don't illuminate until alternator isn't charging AND the battery is almost dead.

burny36
06-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Does the ABS & security lights stay on after the engine is running? Also, when the engine won't start does it still turn over ok? Alternator may be going out if the starter doesn't turn over that well. Don't just assume it's fine because the battery light doesn't come on while the engine is running. They often times don't illuminate until alternator isn't charging AND the battery is almost dead.

the lights stay on after the engine is running and the engine turns over like normal.

Ruley73
06-05-2009, 04:44 AM
the lights stay on after the engine is running and the engine turns over like normal.

It could be a bad ignition switch or key. I know yours has the black resistor in the key. I used to have this exact same car. :)

I would also check the MAF sensor, and clean it with some brake cleaner if necessary. Don't use carb or throttlebody cleaner because those leave a small lubricating residue intended for lubing the throttleplate.

bs009
06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
almost sounds like a coolant issue.

burny36
06-07-2009, 05:59 PM
almost sounds like a coolant issue.

what could the coolant be doing to make this happen?

Ruley73
06-08-2009, 10:36 AM

That's what I was wondering too!? Maybe a headgasket - what does your exhaust look like?

That would be a first for me - seeing a 3800 with a bad head gasket.

bs009
06-08-2009, 02:55 PM

this just reminded me of how when my brother's car was running hot, the car wouldn't accelerate and would seem like it was missing, and when he tried to start it all it would do is crank. later he fixed some coolant issue and it was fine. However, that was with a different engine....

try checking the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge when your car doesn't start; your fuel pump could be on its way out. As Ruley stated, you should also check the engine grounds. if you have a bad ground then that could cause your injectors to not pulse.

I doubt that the problem is with your key. Usually when there's an issue with the resistor, it causes your car to not start. I don't think it affects the car when it's already on.

are you getting a SES light? Does it even turn on when you put the car in run before you start it? how many miles does your car have?

burny36
06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
what does your exhaust look like?

the exhaust has a hint of white but nothing outrageous.

burny36
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
are you getting a SES light? Does it even turn on when you put the car in run before you start it? how many miles does your car have?

no ses light, I'm working on getting a fuel pressure gauge, it has around 130,000 miles.

Add your comment to this topic!