Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'86 Fiero GT Shifter - Manual Trans

SchaefMan
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a friend, across the street, who has a Fiero, and he has been told that it needs a new shifter. Since I know that the shifter itself is not broken, I presume that he means a new shift cable, right?

He was having trouble getting it into gear, and that is what the shop told him, but the guy went on vacation, so my friend wants to try to get things together on his own.

Is there more that could be needed, than just a new shifter cable? I see that Rock Auto has them for around $80-$90, or so.

I don't know much about the car, but I have gotten great help on this board, so I thought I'd check...

Thanks,

Bob

Old Lar
06-16-2009, 04:13 PM
The manual shifting for a Fiero getrag five speed) has two shift cables. One is the select cable (the one that most often breaks) that allows shifting from second to third (lateral movement) and the shift cable (first to second).

The other problem is the getrag is a hydraulic clutch. The clutch master can leak, low hydraulic fluid), the clutch slave can get air into the system and hard shifting. If the car cannot shift, it may be air in the system and require bleeding at the slave. The slave bleeder screw more than not will be frozen and will break when you try to loosen it. Replacement slave cylinders seem to be crap if made by Wagner.

Perfect fitting cables can be found at Rodney Dickman's site. Clutch masters and slaves of good quality may be found at NAPA. I'm still looking for a good slave.

Add your comment to this topic!