Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

painting a car

ShredTheGnar
05-29-2009, 01:40 PM
How much could I expect to pay for the paint to paint the car? I just got back from Afghanistan a few weeks ago, so I have a bit of extra cash to finally get some stuff done to my 1993 Mustang Convertible. I am getting it painted, some 5 star wheels, a 5.0 engine, new interior, and sound system. The engine and wheels are coming from a junk yard. I found a wrecked Mustang with the wheels and engine, and they are still in great shape. The rear pf the car however if f'ed up. I won't have to pay for the labor of getting it painted. I have a good friend that teaches auto body at a technical school. She would gladly paint it for me in class as long as I supply the paint. What can I suspect to pay for the paint? I want black paint like in the following link... http://media.motortopia.com/files/4160/vehicle/45d526c0477e9/100_0845.jpg

ShredTheGnar
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I mean yellow not black.

97TaurusGuy
05-30-2009, 10:08 PM
depends on what type of paint. Too hard to tell otherwise. PPG has a good line called shopline plus. Bring a paint code to your local ppg distributor and tell them you want it in JBP. It is a good product and a good price. Dont forget your thinner, hardener, and clear.

nsxpowered
06-17-2009, 09:33 PM
You should be paying around $470 dollars for paint. Labor is the most expensive component to a paint job so I would say she is hooking you up. 1-1/2 gallon of basecoat, black is a cheap color, unless there is metallics in there. If you use good paint which covers good, then 1 gal should be enough. Clearcoat you'll probably need 1.5 gal. Lets say $220 D403 Jet black for basecoat and $250 923-200 for clear. I'm basing prices off Glasurit. Is she using water base or solvent paint? Forgot to add the primer, the cheapest way is a PCL DTM primer which you can skip the metal etching that should run $100 enough for 2 passes, I don't think you'll need a sealer with that primer, it's very good.

oldblu65
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
If you're going with black , you better make sure your body panels are as straight as you can possibly get them ! The black color will magnify any defects you have and they will be very obvious to all . Also , preparation is key to a great paint job .

orangepeel
12-04-2009, 10:22 AM
How much could I expect to pay for the paint to paint the car? I just got back from Afghanistan a few weeks ago, so I have a bit of extra cash to finally get some stuff done to my 1993 Mustang Convertible. I am getting it painted, some 5 star wheels, a 5.0 engine, new interior, and sound system. The engine and wheels are coming from a junk yard. I found a wrecked Mustang with the wheels and engine, and they are still in great shape. The rear pf the car however if f'ed up. I won't have to pay for the labor of getting it painted. I have a good friend that teaches auto body at a technical school. She would gladly paint it for me in class as long as I supply the paint. What can I suspect to pay for the paint? I want black paint like in the following link... http://media.motortopia.com/files/4160/vehicle/45d526c0477e9/100_0845.jpg

It really depends on the type and brand of paint. At least you have a friend in the industry helping you out. I took my '92 Chevy pick-up to a local body shop after welding in a roll pan because they had a fancy paint booth (http://www.novavertausa.com/) and in the end it cost me $1,200.....I doubt they even used a gallon of paint/primer.

Add your comment to this topic!