brakes!

seeinzs
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
I have a 94 corsica with abs. the back brakes lock up after the car has been sitting up for about 9 months. i have seen many posts on this and other sites but have found no cure. everything has been replaced except the abs module. no abs lights are on however. the only way i can get them to stop locking up is to block the back lines off. not safe so i want to fix it right. any suggestions

Airjer_
05-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Rear disk or drum?

And you have replaced the rear brake pads/shoes/hardware/wheel cylinders/calipers/rotors/drums? If rear drum are you sure they are adjusted correctly. Are you sure the fronts are working?

seeinzs
05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
rear drums. yes and yes. don't know what else to do

Airjer_
05-28-2009, 10:53 AM
O.k. you replaced the shoes, drums, and springs. Are you sure you don't have them adjusted up to high. You should just barely feel some drag when you spin the drum by hand. Make sure the backing plates are are clean where the shoe makes contact with them.

Make sure you have the primary shoe (the one with less friction material) towards the front of the car.

seeinzs
05-28-2009, 01:52 PM
yeah, i re adjusted them a few. i can adjust them loose and it does it just as bad .put em back snug so i could barely feel drag and still does it. I've seen a lot of people with this problem but havn't found a cure.

rhandwor
05-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Try pulling the fuse for the abs and if this solves the problem.
http://www.modulemaster.com/ This company sells rebuilt units. The also have a help line.

jsgold
05-28-2009, 10:15 PM
I wonder if perhaps the flexible brake hose could be the problem....was it replaced? I have seen hoses swell almost shut from rust and corrosion...in fact I have had two do me that way, usually the front. Just not sure else to offer. Our old 91 did this until we rebuilt everything, but it was also not an ABS car. But consider the hose... there is one in the rear.

seeinzs
05-30-2009, 11:58 AM
havn't tried pulling the fuse and trying that yet. and no i did not replace the rubber lines either. i'm going to do both today and see where i'm at. thanks

Add your comment to this topic!