Wiring Diagrams online

biglinc1
05-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Does anyone know where I could find the inside wiring diagram for a 1989 Lincoln Town Car online for the "under the dash" areas... I need to install a CD player. The car apparently had a CD player in it previously but removed and they left it in a big mess, all taped up. I need to find a diagram so I can figure out what wires go to what, so I don't end up with a car on fire...

thanks...... :smile:

Towncar
05-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Haven't found anything.. I used to have some links to stereo installers sites that host wiring diagrams.. but I cant find them now..

This might help some.. but maybe no...

1989 Lincoln Town Car Stereo Wiring:

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Red
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Orange/Blue
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″

Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange

biglinc1
05-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Haven't found anything.. I used to have some links to stereo installers sites that host wiring diagrams.. but I cant find them now..

This might help some.. but maybe no...

1989 Lincoln Town Car Stereo Wiring:

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Green/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Red
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Orange/Blue
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 6 1/2″

Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Doors
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): White/Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Black/White

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 6″ x 9″
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Orange
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink/Blue
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/Orange

There's something crossed up under the dash that has caused the alternator to burn up on that car and I need to find the source of that. I need a regular printed diagram if there's anyting out there of all those wires under that dash.

That ford wiring is wierd - and the guy who installed that radio follwed those coded wires and every one of those were completely different than what it stated - basically whoever wrote that info must not have seen under a 1989 Lincoln town car - as those wires in mine (completely stock - all original and never touched) didn't have those same colors - and a few of those colors listed were for something completely different - like the ignition switch and the power radio antenna switch.....

So i wanted to see the printed version - otherwise I owe $$'s for a car that some dude screwed up on a radio install - won't admit it - and another guy been working for 2 weeks trying to figure out what kind of stupid wiring Ford has on this car...(from the factory).... Right now we're perplexed as to whats the deal........

junk yard doggie
05-31-2009, 01:03 AM
I looked to see if I had any of those old Ford manuals left for the lincoln, but I don't. You could buy one of those wiring connector kits at Walmart, they have all the wire color codes in the directions. Then you could return it. Just an idea. Any time you see those factory harnesses cut you are in for trouble. Good luck

biglinc1
05-31-2009, 08:49 AM
The walmart adapater wont work when you don't have anything but loose ends to work with.... I had an adapter but the other end of this thing is missing...

I could pull the wiring off a wrecked car if I knew what was 'what' but i haven't a clue and i still owe a bank for my ride....and I'm SOL right now til I get my car fixed...

I'm getting the alternator to go on the car this week, it was out...now find the wiring to figure out what else is screwed up. If I knew just a couple things behind the radio I'd be OK or if I could find a wrecked car and look at the wiring - visuals work great for me much better than typed info....

junk yard doggie
05-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I thought the walmart adaptor could help you with some of the color codes. I've got an 89 Grand Marquis out in the yard. The wiring is all intact on that one. I don't know if it's the same as the Lincoln. I could take a picture of the wiring for you, if that helps. You’re in KY right? Do you ever get out this way? I am between Morehead and Mount Sterling. Can you take a picture of your wires and post it.

biglinc1
05-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I thought the walmart adaptor could help you with some of the color codes. I've got an 89 Grand Marquis out in the yard. The wiring is all intact on that one. I don't know if it's the same as the Lincoln. I could take a picture of the wiring for you, if that helps. You’re in KY right? Do you ever get out this way? I am between Morehead and Mount Sterling. Can you take a picture of your wires and post it.

I dont have the car with me - its about 30 miles from me at this guy's garage that's helping me. We're going to work on it when we get a chance. He's out in another county south of Louisville.

I have no idea if all panther series (town car, marquis and LTD/crown vic) have the same wiring or not - but probably would. I konw the power radio antenna is on right of the AC controls above the radio instead of under the lower part of the dash below the steering column on LTD/Crown Vic and Grand Mercury Marquis.... they AC and Radios are (I think) in the same location but the clock on those other 2 are above the HVAC and radios where on lincolns the clock is in the center cluster.....

I don't think I've been to morehead but once and that was passing thru going to DC on I64 from Louisville. I've been to Lexington but not beyond except that one time....

tallbaldguy
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
I saw your post about stereo wiring on an 89 lincoln. I'm working on a 89 lincoln continental. Trying to put in an aftermarket cd player (the stock one died) I bought the right aftermarket wiring harness kit from best buy but here's the thing: the old stock radio has an extra 8 pin plug which i assume is for all the speakers, there is no such plug on the new aftermarket harness. we've cut that plug off and want to find a speaker wiring diagram so we get it right. Suggestions anyone?

biglinc1
07-13-2009, 09:31 PM
I saw your post about stereo wiring on an 89 lincoln. I'm working on a 89 lincoln continental. Trying to put in an aftermarket cd player (the stock one died) I bought the right aftermarket wiring harness kit from best buy but here's the thing: the old stock radio has an extra 8 pin plug which i assume is for all the speakers, there is no such plug on the new aftermarket harness. we've cut that plug off and want to find a speaker wiring diagram so we get it right. Suggestions anyone?

I finally got mine installed. Got another friend finally help me. Took 3 weeks haha... We cut off the plug and couldn't use the adaptor. He took the wiring from the original that has the labels on it, and new speaker wires. he wired the new speakers up to each one listed. We didn't use the dash speakers just doors and rear speakers. I only have 2 door speakers and 2 rear speakers now but thats plenty.

I had looked a few places for a wiring diagram and couldnt find one but luckily my friend is really good with wiring, so he culd figure it out.

tallbaldguy
07-13-2009, 09:37 PM
thanks for the quick reply. did the back of your stock radio have two plugs? On this 89 cont. we have a long, flat plug that handles all the power (ground, power antenna, dimmer, etc) What I'm confused about it the other plug, it's small, black and 8pins which we are assuming is for speakers. We powered up the new unit and just tried randomly hooking up some speakers and we can't get sound out of anything. do you know if there Is there a hidden stock amp we have to power up too in order to get the speakers powered?

biglinc1
07-13-2009, 11:06 PM
I still have the stock radio. I can take a pic of it and post it up. Its on a town car - hope maybe it helps you. I know it has a plug for the power radio antenna, and a couple others.

Maybe by looking at the back you might can tell...

junk yard doggie
07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
There probably is an amp in the Trunk, not sure on the continental all though. You will have to by pass that amp if you are not running a stock radio. Crutchfields has the bypass cable.

Add your comment to this topic!