Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 Passport sounds like a diesel

labunski
05-27-2009, 10:51 PM
95 passport sounds like a diesel when idling... also tonight it wouldn't shift out of first and at the same time, the check trans like was flashing, then stopped and never came back on after I stopped and started it. Also randomly stalls as I round a curve...

These are probably all different problems, and I've read different solutions here but is there anything I can do myself to fix these things?

It was suggested by a friend/mechanic that there is maybe debris in the gas tank, and that's why it stalls when rounding a corner or when very low on gas.

Could the transmission light be that I am low on trans fluid?

Is there something I can add to the oil or different kind of gas to change the dieseling/loud (very loud) engine?

Thanks for your help -- I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to cars...

Ramblin Fever
05-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Couple of things, are you the original owner? Or did you just purchase this beast?

These trucks are superb reliability wise if maintained, I have a '97 Rodeo that I just adore.

Regarding the engine ticking noise, this is a VERY common problem amongst these engines; specially in ones that did not get their oil changed every 3k max. Sometimes this noise is attributed to gunk built up in the lifters; othertimes it's due to the engine being ran low on oil at some point. Can also be attributed to vehicle having seen crappy oil quality too.

For this problem, I would switch to Rotella synthetic 5w-40 diesel/gasoline rated oil with a Napa gold or K&N oil filter. The oil can be found at Walmart in a blue jug. This oil is fantastic for cleaning out the internals of the engine, but it takes time and several oil changes. However, the gunk didn't accumilate overnight, so you don't want to eliminate it overnight either.

Run your first oil change at around 2k miles, then dump and refill with Rotella and run for around 3k...if the noise starts to improve you can extend it out to 4k or so, as this oil is VERY robust and can get expensive if you stick with 3k oil change intervals continuously.

Regarding the transmission, this is the GM 4L30-E tranny. Does NOT like old, worn out, or low fluid levels; when was the last time the fluid was changed? Any known maintenance history?

You didn't say how many miles were on the truck.

For the tranny situation, DEFINITELY check that fluid level asap; don't continue to drive it with low fluid level. Please advise me if yours has a tranny fluid dipstick or not; if it does not have a dipstick you have to check and refill it from underneith the truck, and there is a certain way this must be done.

I think early 95 Rodeo's still had the atf dipstick, IIRC, my '97 does not.

Regarding the fuel issue; has the fuel filter been changed? Are you using the same gas station?? If so, try a different shop, perhaps bad gas. What do the spark plugs look like?

Keep me posted; I've had my truck for 13yrs, they do run a long time if you can get the bugs worked out you'll like it.

labunski
05-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much for your reply!

No I just bought it about three months ago and I love this car! Just want it to run great so I can keep on driving it. I was told at the time that all fluid levels were fine so I am assuming they were topped off when I bought it.

The speed/odom is broken so I have no idea how many miles! It stopped at 109,000 ish.

I do believe it has a trans fluid dipstick - I will go get it checked today at lunch...

Like I said, I love this little beast of a truck and wanna keep it going for as long as possible...

labunski
05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I did just get the trans fluid checked and it was REALLY low so thanks for the prompt on that!

I will get that oil changed this weekend - and someone on here recommended high octane gas for a few fill ups...?

labunski
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
I posted a reply yesterday (2 replies in fact), but they didn't show up!

Anyway thanks I DO have a atf dip stick... and yesterday i took it to and advance auto parts and we determined that yes, I was two quarts low!!

Also, someone on here suggested that I put high-octane gas in my car for a few fill ups to clear up the stalling when low on gas problem...

Add your comment to this topic!