Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Advice - Air brushing

PzR Slim
05-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Hi,

I've looked through the FAQ's, which are absolutely fantastic, but can't seem to find the information I want. I'm trying to discover the process of using Tamiya acrylic paints with an airbrush. How much thinner do I use? What is the minimum amount of paint you can use? And any other information that would help me would be much appreciated.

Some_Kid
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Most of the time I just feel it when it comes to thinning ratios. I thin to the point where its thin and fluid but doesn't lose opaqueness when spraying. The rule of thumb is to thin it down to the consistency of milk.

Slash.Snakepit
05-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Well...I think that some_kid is right, itīs more about feel than having an exact bang on rule.

For me tamyia acryl are unbeliavably frustrating...never got to work right. Tried enamel too but didnīt like it very much either...for me to date the best results were with automotive paints...but they are very toxic - but this is only regarding to car bodies, for all other parts tamyia and etc work a treat.

Do you have a steady air supply for your AB where you can regulate the pressure? Is your airbrush single or dual action?

I managed to buy a huge sheet os styrene here where I live in Brazil, its some 2 by 1.50 meters which I cut into several small pieces and use them as a test varying teh amount of reducer, pressure, distance and the various tips and needles in my AB set.

This is my :2cents:

The best way I think is practice, practice, practice...on scrap!

Happy modelling!!!!

PzR Slim
05-28-2009, 05:10 AM
Thanks very much for your replies. I also found a wealth of information on different sites. And practice, practice, practice seems to be the mantra :smile:

Add your comment to this topic!