ABS and OBD2

BobandMara
05-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi! – New to this forum and would appreciate some help! I just picked up an RV on a 1996 E-350 chassis. The test drives before purchase were fine – but on the 200 mile trip home the ABS light came on. No apparent loss or change in braking or other issues, just the light and likely the ABS function. When I shut it down and restart – the light goes out but soon comes back on when I apply the brake. The longer it sits – the longer before the light returns. I picked up an OBD2 reader with an ABS code function that states it will work on 1996 and later Fords. There is an OBD2 type connector in the usual place under the dash, but the reader will not link up at all. (It works in my other cars). All the fuses are fine. My questions are: (1) Do the symptoms point to any particular component or sensor of the ABS system? (2) Are the OBD2 connectors on the 1996 cutaway for an RV still functional or are they exempt from the 1996 requirement and inop? (1996 and later cars and “light” trucks are required to be OBD2 compliant I believe(?)). I read about pulling the ABS code by grounding the orange/black wire and will give that a try - (when it stops raining and if I can find that connector!). Thanks for any insight! // Bob

CL8
05-27-2009, 02:47 AM
What does your owners manual say?

BobandMara
05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
The Ford "pamplet" more or less states that it was manufactured as an incomplete vehicle to be set up as an ambulance or motor home, with very few details other than fluid types, etc. The RV manual is also missing any reference to the OBD2 connector. There may have originally been a more detailed manual, but it's not there now. Thanks!

Add your comment to this topic!