Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

05 2.5L removing the oil pan housing?

hellah fresh
05-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok so i have a bad piston or ring because i dot have ant compression on cylinder #5. So me and my dad are trying to take it out from the bottom without taking the whole engine out of the car. We took out the oil pan and now we took out all the screws to the oil pan housing but for some reason my dad cant take out the housing.. is there a way to take it out or do i ahve to remove the whole engine?

denisond3
05-27-2009, 09:35 AM
My Jetta is a 90, and pan removal would be different, but..... The diameter of a piston is typically greater than the width of the openings from one main bearing web to the next one. So the pistons cant come out by pulling them down. The exceptions would be engines where the cylinders were a separate assembly from the crankcase and could be unbolted. I dont know if 05 Jetta engines are made that way: But even so, to get the pistons down you would have to remove the crankshaft from the engine. This would probably require at least separating the transmission from the engine, which would require at least removing the drivers side axle shaft from the hub.
With a near total lack of compression, its more likely to be a problem with a valve that is burnt or stuck, or a bad head gasket, than just one bad piston. And if one piston was cracked or had broken rings, its still very probable that you would need to replace other rings, and do a valve job on the engine head. And a broken ring may score the cylinder wall enough to require boring the 4 cylinders to an oversize, and getting oversize pistons.

Airjer_
05-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I agree, It would be less time and effort to pull the head. The piston will likely have to come out the top anyway. If the head looks good your still in good shape to remove the piston.

hellah fresh
05-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh well the car had a low compression before on #5 so we pulled out the head and check the valves with some carb spray to see if it was leaking and surely enough it leaked thru the valve. So we got a valve job done on all the valves and put it back intot he car and still the compression is bad. So my dad pulled off the heads again and checked to see if it hold pressure with the air hose. So when he blew air into where the coils were the #5 cylinder just dropped. So he says it might have a bad ring or something. So we are trying to take a look at the piston from the bottom before we pull it out.

I dont know if you can tell by these pictures but my dad was saying that there might be 2 bolts inside the clutch housing where the block and transmission meet. After the pan it had bolts to remove the oil pan housing but i was wondering if there is a way?
http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d0befc16d4&view=att&th=12182a460355bb78&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1303838540320210944-1&zw

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=d0befc16d4&view=att&th=12182a81e660c93a&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1303838799993765888-1&zw

Add your comment to this topic!