Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Corsica CPS Question

fwttg
05-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi All,

Tried searching but couldn't find an answer so hopefully someone can help me with this.

Have a 1991 Corsica 3.1 MPFI that has just started cutting out. There is no hesitation, rough idle, surging, etc it just dies. The frequency of the stalls increased rapidly so that now it cuts out after about 5-10 mins and can not be restarted for about 1/2 hour.

Have not checked fuel pressure with a gage but it appears healthy when the schraeder valve is depressed and a timing light indicates a spark on all cylinders when it is cranking. There are no eror codes.

The odd thing (to me) is that once the engine cuts out, while the key is still in the on position, various relays, the cooling fan and the check engine light all flash and click off and on as if they are shorting out. The radio and dome light are unaffected.

My question is.....would a faulty crankshaft position sensor affect the entire engine electrical system like this?

Thank you in advance for any input!

manicmechanix
05-26-2009, 12:51 PM
My question is.....would a faulty crankshaft position sensor affect the entire engine electrical system like this?

No it wouldn't nd the fact you have spark indicates the ckp sensor is OK.

The odd thing (to me) is that once the engine cuts out, while the key is still in the on position, various relays, the cooling fan and the check engine light all flash and click off and on as if they are shorting out. The radio and dome light are unaffected.

Well i would say it was the ignition switch cicuit cutting on and off but since you say the radio and dome light works and the the fan, relays and instrument panel kick on and off, you probably have a bad connection or ground in one of the ECM circuits or ground.

fwttg
05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
manicmechanix,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I agree with the bad connection or ground diagnosis. I was just desperately hoping for something else so I wouldn't have to try and track it down!

I found that the CPS/lead connection at the engine is full of oil. That will need to be cleaned up then on to the tracing.

Cheers

Add your comment to this topic!