Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Well, THAT didn't do the trick!!!

MSBfan
05-24-2009, 04:07 PM
So as stated in another post, the normal 3 dash lights were on for me(SVS, ABS, LOW TRAC), along with a unholy drone coming from the front end as I drove.

So today I decided to replace the wheel hub which I suspected was the culprit(as I have no way to pull codes to know the correct one), and did the left one.

It took an extra trip to the auto parts store as I had no socket big enough to pull the halfshaft nut, but once I got that it was a fairly straightforward replacement(however NEXT time I will employ a hub puller).

But once I got everything buttoned back up, and drove down the road, the dash lit up and the drone was still evident...not AS loud, but still there. So I assume I need to do the right one to make it right. I thought I had it though, because when I pulled the old one and tried to spin it, there was NO way to spin it by hand, whereas the new one spun freely.

As an added bonus, when I turned my wheel to the right to access the hub nuts, I saw some power steering fluid leaking from what I assume to be the rack and pinion unit...which looks like will be my next trip to the repair shop. The other wheel hub I will tackle on my own...I think the next one will be quicker, knowing what I need and how to do it.

Iflylow
05-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Any mechanic with a TechII scanner (or other ABS capable scanner) can tell you which hub is bad, or if it is a hub at all (but I'd guess it is a hub). Cost you about $50 for the scan.

Airjer_
05-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Its also possible for both of them to be making noise. Rare but possible.

undersc0re
05-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Happenned to me once, noise came out of both and it would make noise out of one more when I a certain way so I changed it out, and it got a little quieter, lights stayed on on the dash. With the noise coming out of both I was scared it was the tranny, I changed out the other one as well and then all was good....

MSBfan
09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
As an update...

Haven't had a chance to do my other bearing due to cash flow situation, but I swear the front end noise is LOUDER now than it was before.

With this added wrinkle...sometimes as I drive, the airplane noise will go away, almost as if "something" is aligned properly then I hit a bump or turn and its back to the loud grinding/humming.

Its definetly coming from the drivers side, which is the hub I have recently replaced.

Any thoughts or ideas? Could my transmission be on its way out? Power steering level is fine.

Airjer_
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Did you torque the axle nut?

What brand of wheel bearing did you use?

If you jack up the front of the car and spin the wheel by hand while holding the spring on the strut with the other you should be able to feel the vibration in the spring. Try both sides. You need to have the trans in neutral, make sure either the e-brake is set or the rear wheels are chalked. You can't rule out a rear bearing as well.

MSBfan
10-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Sorry its taken so long to reply...

The brand of wheel bearing we used for the drivers side was an NTP from Advanced Auto.

Luckily since the noise seemed to be getting worse, I happend to be at my father-in-laws last weekend for a birthday party, and he had to move my car to let some people out. Long story short, he fronted me the $$ to get the front end looked at.

The end result was the passenger bearing was the one that was shot, as there was about 1 inch of play in the wheel when it was taken off the ground and when the tech pulled the hub, bearings bounced all over the place.

They use BCA National hubs at this shop so that is what is on the passenger side. They also checked the torque specs on my repair and they were fine.

Now my Alero is once again quiet enough to hear my radio, turn signals, and myself think!!!!! And NO lights on the dash!!!

The cost out the door was $202 which of the 5 hubs I have put on this car, this was by far the cheapest one...aside from the one I did. I did alot of online research for shops in my area, and this one came in this best, and I would have to agree with what I read.

Airjer_
10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE]there was about 1 inch of play in the wheel when it was taken off the ground

You would have definitely felt that if had you jacked up the car and spun both wheels.

Add your comment to this topic!