Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Passenger door panel removal

heather42
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I have a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire. I removed the 5 visible screws and could pry the panel away from the right side and bottom, but it is not budging through the middle and by the window. I don't know where to look for more screws for the handle and maybe near the door lock. My window is stuck part way down. Can anyone walk me through this, keeping in mind I am truly a girlie girl and know really nothing about cars. I just want to make my window go back up and its Sunday and there's nothing open to help me.

J-Ri
05-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Welcome to AF!

One of our moderators was nice enough to write a detailed how-to on this, it's one of the "IMPORTANT:" stickied threads at the top of this forum.

heather42
05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
OK, the panel is off...but to get to the window I have to pull off a metal panel. Am off to get more tools. Does anyone have a picture of the location of the window motor so I know what I am looking at?

heather42
05-24-2009, 03:27 PM
I was able to get the right tools for the nuts, then found out that around the door lever there's star screws. Any idea what size star screw driver I need for these, and are there any more tools I have to get for when I get this thing off?

J-Ri
05-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Those are "torx" screws, any auto part store should have a couple options for them. You can get the screwdriver bits or sockets for 1/4" and 3/8" square drive. Don't know the size, but you usually have to buy the whole set. Pretty cheap if you go with the screwdriver bits. Not sure on the location of the motor, but it will be the only motor in the door, and attached to the regulator somehow. Not sure about other tools either, never had a Cavalier door open before.

I didn't think about it before, but you checked the fuse or circuit breaker (usually breaker) for power and checked for power to and from the switch, right? Those will be the first things to check.

heather42
05-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded. I am so mad right now. I got all the screws out only to find that the door has to be completely removed from the hinges as well to get the panel off...the hinge bolts hold the panel on. I reached up inside and tried to slide the regulator on the track to no avail. It won't budge. I even WD-40d it. My arms are all cut up from reaching in there. I saran wrapped the door so it won't get wet tomorrow and will call the collision shop. I really wish I could've got the window up to save myself a huge bill. Good thing is, most of the screws are out for the guys already. Save on a little labor.:banghead:

J-Ri
05-26-2009, 05:06 PM
That doesn't sound right to me. I have replaced the motor and/or regulator on probably hundreds of vehicles and never had to take the door off. Are there a couple oblong holes 8" to 14" across? The motor and regulator come out through those holes. If the regulator is jammed up or the motor doesn't work, you usually have to cut the regulator cable to move the window up or down to where you can remove the screws that hold the glass to the regulator clips. It's a very tight fit sometimes, and I know all about having cut up arms. In the 5 years I've been an automotive technician, I think I have always had a scab or cut one one arm or the other at all times :)

And about having the door panel removed already saving you on labor... don't count on it. Most places will actually charge you more if they have to try to figure out where things go. I know it seems like it should be cheaper if you do part of the work, but imagine your frustration if you have a job to do and someone hands you a bag full of assorted screws that you have to try in every hole to see if it works, then you get everything back together and find that the one screw you have left is too short and has to go inside the door and you have to take everything back apart to change the screws out.

heather42
05-26-2009, 06:31 PM
I went to my collision shop and sure enough, the 2005 Sunfire door panel is one solid unit that has to be removed from the hinge. Also, the motor is mounted on the inside of the panel. Have to have the panel off to remove the motor. The shop was able to raise the window for me and stabilize it with tape for the time being. They are searching for a scrap door to get a motor and regulator cheap for me. The cost to take the rest of it apart, raise the window, put it back together, and reseat the door(it wasn't seated properly when I had it put on 2 years ago by the same shop...different owners) was $0.00. :rofl: They are trying to get the part for $40. I found a great group of guys. Thank you everyone here for your input! I may be back some day.

Add your comment to this topic!