Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Buick 92 Climate flashes speedometer dies low power on accelration ok after ten minut

92buick
05-23-2009, 08:47 AM
The Car is a Buick Park Avenue 1992, Here is what it does. If the car has sat at least ten minutes since you last drive it or cold start, it runs fine.
As long as you dont turn the ignition off, you can drive all day no problem.

However, when you kill the car and try to restart it before ten minutes are up (or more than 5 minutes), when you go to start it again, it starts fine but here is where it gets interesting:

Service engine soon light stays on.

The Climate temp display blinks continuiously.

When you put it in Drive, it is as if it isnt getting power and is not so responsive to pushing the accelerator.

The speedometer needle doesn't move.

No ECM error

Wait ten minutes, it starts fine until you stop and start again.

Any advise?

Carsrcool100
05-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Im not sure if this is the same thing but my sister has a mazda protege and the engine light was on when she started it and it ran fine for 5-10 minutes then the speedometer failed to work and the engine was revving and shakeing the car. But if you turned it off and waited 10 second and turned it back on it will drive fine for about 10 minuets then do the same thing. We found out the problem was the Engine Censor. And it needed to be fixed. now it runs fine.

92buick
05-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Actually, on mine, I never have a problem if it doesn't mess up from the moment of ignition. You know it has a problem immediately, even before turning the ignition, because the climate control temp display is already blinking before even attempting to start it.

After this happens, you have to wait until you can turn the ignition to the on position, and can see that the temp display is no longer flashing. When it displays the temp like normal, it will run as normal, every time.

Carsrcool100
05-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Actually, on mine, I never have a problem if it doesn't mess up from the moment of ignition. You know it has a problem immediately, even before turning the ignition, because the climate control temp display is already blinking before even attempting to start it.

After this happens, you have to wait until you can turn the ignition to the on position, and can see that the temp display is no longer flashing. When it displays the temp like normal, it will run as normal, every time.
You might want to try this website i found it may help you find out the problem. http://en.allexperts.com/q/Oldsmobile-Buick-Repair-826/index_all.htm

HotZ28
05-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Have you checked the battery cables for corrosion? Remove the negative cable first, then the positive, then remove the plastic terminal covers to check & clean. Side mounted terminals can cause all sorts of problems, they must be absolutely clean! BTW, your post was moved here from Buick Tips & Maintenance.

Carsrcool100
05-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Hot can be right on that one. that may be something you may want to check out.

Add your comment to this topic!