Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

safety recall 09047

zhouqi
05-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi, I received a mail from GM. It said my 2001 pontiac grand prix is involved in safety recall 09047. The reason is that an underhood fire may be caused by drops of engine oil....
And it said the pontiac dealer will replace the spark plug wire channel with new spark plug wire retainer.

Does anyone also receive this safety recall mail? It is a serious problem? If it is necessary to replace that part?

tblake
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I got nermous ones, all went into the trash can.

the cause for concern is there, but the fix is half @$$ed at best.

Rather than replacing the plug wire channer, they should correct the oil leak in the first place.

I replaced both of my valve cover gaskets myself in under a couple hours. I ues fel-pro replacements. No more leaks.

grandprixgtx00
05-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I got nermous ones, all went into the trash can.

the cause for concern is there, but the fix is half @$$ed at best.

Rather than replacing the plug wire channer, they should correct the oil leak in the first place.

i agree with you 100% Tim. on the L36 they are only changing the spark plug wire channel :screwy:

even on the L67 they are just changing the FRONT valve cover gasket.

they figure...hell...if we aint gonna make Pontiac anymore, just let the rest of em' burn to the ground

richtazz
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
The reason they're changing the plug wire channel is because of the material it is made of. It has a low melting point and is highly flammable. As a kid, did any of you ever take a lighter and ignite the plastic racks that all the model parts come attached to? do you remember how it would drip flaming pieces of plastic (I do...:evillol:)? Same scenario here. I agree the recall is half @$$ed at best, but I would suggest getting it done. At least it's free.

grandprixgtx00
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
The reason they're changing the plug wire channel is because of the material it is made of. It has a low melting point and is highly flammable. As a kid, did any of you ever take a lighter and ignite the plastic racks that all the model parts come attached to? do you remember how it would drip flaming pieces of plastic (I do...:evillol:)? Same scenario here. I agree the recall is half @$$ed at best, but I would suggest getting it done. At least it's free.

i can do it for free too...in 5 mins. zip ties will work wonders :grinyes:

then you dont have to deal with the hassle of leaving your car at the stealership, then some punk decides hey...thats a badass looking car...lets take it out for a "test drive"

nope...i dont trust people anymore. i do all my work myself

tblake
05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Me neither. Ever since a guy who took auto shop with my in high school got a job at the local GM dealership.

One day in auto shop I was watching him put lugnuts on a chevy truck. He threaded them on inside out (tapered side facing outwards), I called him out and said, "your putting them on backwords". His responce "thats how we do it at the dealership".

I hope not!

JonJon68
05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I had this recall done last week at my local dealership. I know them very well and have always treated me fair. Wasn't a big deal, I was in and out fairly quick.
Like Rich stated it's free for the owner.. Doesn't GM have to pay for it? Make em pay....:evillol:

Add your comment to this topic!