Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for advise on how to reduce the width of some tires

lam90
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I have a set of photo etched wire wheels that came with a set of solid rubber tire. I want to reduce the width of the solid rubber tires to be more in scale with the model that I will be using them with. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this.

Best regards,

Larry

mrawl
05-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Do you have a Dremel? If so, mount them on a cutoff disk, start 'em spinning, and sand them down with a very rough finger-nail board :)

koksik
05-22-2009, 04:30 AM
What size You need? Meybe I have some better tires for You :)

lam90
05-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Mark, thanks for the idea but, I am trying to reduce the width of the tire not the diameter.

Best regards,

Larry

Do you have a Dremel? If so, mount them on a cutoff disk, start 'em spinning, and sand them down with a very rough finger-nail board :)

lam90
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the offer but I should have stated that they are for 1/18 scale model car :). If you have anything in that scale please let me know and lets see what we can work out.

Best regards,

Larry

What size You need? Meybe I have some better tires for You :)

koksik
05-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Yes, I have a low profile big wheels - for 1/18 meybe will be fit :)

mrawl
05-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Mark, thanks for the idea but, I am trying to reduce the width of the tire not the diameter.

Best regards,

Larry
Yes, I meant the suggestion for reducing the width - I have done precisely this for my Porsche RSR. It worked very nicely. You can restore the shape to the narrowed sidewall easily this way.

Add your comment to this topic!