93 S10 Blazer - Anti Lock & Brake Lights...and more

dmb359
05-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Trying to problem solve.

So lately I've had both the anti lock light and the brake light come on for a few seconds and then they will go off. It will just happen at random times and at various speeds. Lately I've also noticed that it feels like there a vibration or slight chatter in the pedal as I'm driving or braking.

Also, when I brake, sometimes there will be more resistance in the pedal like the brake assist is working, and it feels like the truck pulls a little to the left while braking.

We did just change the front brake pads, which were shot, although I noticed this before that a couple times.

Also, there was a leak in the upper intake manifold gasket, which was causing a rough idle and lots of noise (maybe failed brake assist too?). I took some silicone gasket stuff and sealed where the leak was to see if that helped the problem (there was like a gap in the gasket that was missing). It did, the truck was much quieter and idles normal now. Still have the above mentioned issues though.

Ideas?

blazes9395
05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
The ABS is kicking in at random times. Check your right front ABS sensor for damaged/loose wiring. Make sure the sensor is clean and does not have any debris on it. Those years had an external sensor(mounted on the backing plate) that needed to be kept clean, or you would have funny ABS issues. Also, it would be wise to just change the upper intake gasket with a fresh one. Its not that bad of a job, just pull the upper intake off and there is the gasket. If its starting to fail and get brittle, save yourself a lot of headaches and just replace it.

dmb359
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
The ABS is kicking in at random times. Check your right front ABS sensor for damaged/loose wiring. Make sure the sensor is clean and does not have any debris on it. Those years had an external sensor(mounted on the backing plate) that needed to be kept clean, or you would have funny ABS issues. Also, it would be wise to just change the upper intake gasket with a fresh one. Its not that bad of a job, just pull the upper intake off and there is the gasket. If its starting to fail and get brittle, save yourself a lot of headaches and just replace it.

I have the gasket, I was just doing that to determine if that would fix the problem before changing it. Now I just need to get around to changing it.

Is there a tutorial around here for locating, checking, & cleaning that sensor?

blazes9395
05-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't know if there is any tutorial, but it is very easy to do. Basiclly, pull your tire off, just behind the actual wheel hub, you'll see the sensor connected on the backing plate, just above a circular ring gear. Get this sensor really clean, make sure its secured tightly on the backing plate and take a look at the wiring going from the sensor to the connector on the frame rail. Follow it very closely and make sure its not damaged.

Add your comment to this topic!