Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil coolant leaks

MoS_19Delta
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
my 1988 Bronco has a slight coolant leak and a major oil leak. #1 I replaced the thermostat housing and all the hoses but it didn't seem to fix the problem. I have to fill the radiator and resevoir every month. #2 The oil seems to be leaking in a couple places, the first is the drain plug and will replace it tomorrow. But the other seems to be coming from higher up on the engine, i've checked the heads and they seem fine but the engine is so crusted with oil and grime it's hard to see anything, I've cleaned it some but i would like to hear of any common places it might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks

toddman67
05-20-2009, 03:50 PM
For starters I would get some gunk engine brite cleaner, spray it on, clean it the best you can with a brush and hoes it down. Let the vehicle dry good and try to isolate the leak.
V-6 engine? If so... probably the intake gaskets are leaking.

MoS_19Delta
05-20-2009, 03:57 PM
351 w

toddman67
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
I would still clean the engine down. You say the oil drain plug gasket is bad? Let it sit overnight and remove the drain plug slowly and see if any coolant comes out around the threads. Oil is lighter and will stay on top. So the coolant will come out first.
If this is the case you have an internal leak such as intake gaskets or possible head gasket. A combustion leak detection tester in the radiator cooling system would reveal that situation.

MoS_19Delta
05-20-2009, 04:33 PM
They are two seperate leaks. i was tryin to get a fix for both in the same thread.

toddman67
05-20-2009, 04:52 PM
I understand completely. There is a good chance that both of your problems could be resolved with one repair. It is not uncommon for the head gasket or the intake gaskets to leak which could be the culprit of both problems, But you need to diagnose and systematically rule out these issues.
A simple pressure test of the cooling system might show an external leak or it might show a loss of pressure with no external signs which would indicate an internal leak.....into the oil.
Same holds true for the oil leak. If the oil is dilluted with coolant it might leak easier.
In any case both intake or head gaskets perform multi-tasks by sealing oil and coolant from each other.

fordtrucksonly
06-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Personally I have not seen many head gasket problems on the 302/351 motors. I would say the oil leak is probably something stupid like a valve cover gasket. As far as coolant pressure test the system to 15 pounds and let it hold pressure for 10 minutes or so and see if it went down.

Add your comment to this topic!