Manual or Automatic?

glooper23
05-20-2009, 10:18 AM
My dad is buying me a car for graduation. I want manual transmission because I heard it saves on gas and is cheaper to repair, but my dad doesn't think manual saves that much gas. Am I silly for going with manual simply for the money saved on gas? Should I just go with automatic?

wrenchboss26
05-20-2009, 10:35 AM
manuals are lighter and cheaper, often provide more gear ranges, and are more fun to drive. they do get better mpg when driven properly. i think all cars should be manual.

glooper23
05-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

wafrederick
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Automatics are better,put the vehicle in gear and drive away.Any car with a manual transmission does not sell very well,dropping the price.A car with an automatic raises the value of the car.

Slig
05-29-2009, 04:22 PM
I think it's personal preference more than anything. Personally I prefer manuals. My last two cars were manuals and now I have an automatic and I'm bored of it. I'm looking to pick up a little five speed.

autoinsureusa
05-30-2009, 04:41 PM
It really comes down to personal preference. Some people just enjoy the "challenge" of driving in manual. Personally, I prefer automatic, and I'm sure a lot of others do. Neither are bad, but I were to give my two cents, I would say, go with automatic.

whatugiv
06-02-2009, 06:01 PM
what are you planning on getting? Personal preference would be the deciding factor but in order for me to lend any advice I would have to know what vehicle you are interested in.
If it has a prancing horse on the hood I would definitely suggest a manual!
Good Luck,
JC

Add your comment to this topic!