Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

catalytic converter Problem

guy_mu1
05-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi,

I am buying a used car and in the mechanical check up the P0420 catalytic converter code came. The dealer mentioned that this can sometime happen because of some bad gas or moisture in the gas/tank.

He erased the code and told me that now if you drive for another 100-110 miles the driving cycle will be completed and the code may not come if it was a false alarm. Is that true? He is going to put 100 miles in next few days and will give me a call. So I have few days to decide if I should go ahead or back out.

Also he told me that the wholesale price for a newcatalytic converter is around $350 and another $100-150 for labor. Is that correct?

P.S. : I am in NJ.

ricebike
05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
somewhat true, but it's drive cyles, not miles... key on, then off, then on, etc.

look it up online to see how much a new cat would cost... like advance autoparts, autozone, etc...

labor-wise, i can diy w/ proper tools and a can of PB blaster in case the bolts are seized up. so free for me!

dorman68
05-20-2009, 06:45 AM
If your looking at a 2002-06 Altima with a 4-cyl engine I would run away fast as possible. They are notorious for the converters failing and the debris entering the engine and destroying it. Google Nissan Altima Catalytic Converter and you'll see a ton of info regarding this issue.

Add your comment to this topic!