Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New to Automotive Modeling, a few Qs

Iron Eagle
05-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi AFers!

I am new to the world of automotive modeling but have been building plastic aircrafts for a long time so I understand the fundamentals of plastic modeling. I am currently working on a Fujimi 1/24 Mercedes SL 500 and have a few questions that someone can hopefully help with. I already searched the forums but mostly came up with others' builds and inconclusive results.

I'm used to using airbrushes and prefer to keep it that way. It seems like many modelers on this board use spray cans to achieve phenomenal results, but are there any easily-accessible airbrush paints/primer you recommend? How about clears parts like the lights?

I'd like to get some aftermarket rims for my build. I know HLJ and Scale Production, but are there any other online shops that sell rims, preferably located in the US? Most of the cars I have in my collection are "modern" BMW, Mercedes, and Ferrari and I tend to like classy yet stylish rims that resemble the real ones, as opposed to 35 inch pimping ones.

The Fujimi kit does not have any interior door details. Are there any aftermarket sets for that?

Any other suggestions regarding automotive modeling in general?

TIA!

Cold_Fire
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
When painting cars / bikes you can have most times the added satisfaction of using a perfect match for the color that was used on the real thing. This gets you to the automotive finishes world, or to some modelling shops / brands who offer these paints in small jars (Zero Paints, Model Color Worx, ScaleColors)

You can also use any other modelling paints, usually the most important part of the finish is the varnish, where automotive clearcoat will give you the best finishes.

You can work with clear parts as you work with aircraft canopies. If you need to paint something you'll need some transparent paints, tamiya or gunze sangyo have them.

Sorry I cannot tell you about shops in US, but you could check hiroboy.com, great catalog and stuff to take an idea.

Probably there will not be an specific aftermarket for doors detail in your model, but check at hiroboy and you'll see that cars and motorbikes have a big aftermarket offer, as big as aircraft or tanks have. There are set for specific cars and there are generic details that you can use on a lot of models just attending to scale.

Suggestions... I suggest reading a lot on this forum, following "work in proccess" threads. That will probably help you to introduce better on automotive modelling.

Regards

MidMazar
05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Just as cold fire stated zero paints, scalecolors, and cobra colors are great paints. Also aclad II are spectacular but are mainly used for detail painting. Tamiya spray cans give an excellent finish also, if you plan on just airbrushing then you can always decant the paint from any spray can color you like.

As far as detail for the mercedes, i think they don't make any aftermarket door panel details. You can maybe find some metal door pins, handles, or locks on some sites.

As far as for painting clear red and orange i fell in love with modelmaster enamels.
For heat staining I use tamiya acrylics (red, blue,orange,purple)

Try
Hiroboy.com
mediamixhobby.com Similar to hiroboy, many aftermarket items, but overseas (high shipping)
modelexpress.net USA and canada site
HLJ.com Thats where many people get their modeling stuff from, cause its direct
scalemotorsport.com Mainly for carbon and pe (USA)
stradasports.com Many aftermarket stuff (USA or canada I think)
Islandcollectibles.net (USA)

Iron Eagle
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks you guys for your inputs - especially the suggestion on those websites. I've been lurking for a while and saw some amazing builds. One can learn a lot just by following WIPs!

+ rep

Didymus
05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
You won't go wrong if you start with Tamiya products: primer, TS-series paint and clear coat, masking tape, putty and polishing compounds. Tamiya products are made for models - which don't necessarily have the same needs as 1:1 cars. They aren't highly toxic like some automotive products (especially the paints), and they don't need to be adapted for modeling use.

Tamiya spray cans have excellent nozzles that make spraying a pleasure. You'll get a smoother, glossier finish if you warm the can under a hot water tap before spraying.

One caveat: If you spray it too heavily and too wet, Tamiya TS-Series clear coat can damage some decals. Start with a couple of very light, dry coats and you'll be okay.

Welcome to the car side of the modeling hobby and enjoy!

Ddms

Add your comment to this topic!