Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Instrument Panel Lights

shopboyjr
05-18-2009, 05:32 AM
problem with my 2003 Impala.
PRNDL,and Radio light up just fine during the day, As soon as the automatic headlamps go on, the dash and radio display dim out. I have no Instrument panel lights at all Even when I put on my parking lights. Replaced my head light switch and still does not work. I did buy the switch off ebay so I wonder if I got burned and just buy a new one. The switch looked new no signs of ever been screwed in. I was told it was new. I did read on here mybe BCM. and someone said replaced BCM and did not work. Any help with my problem?

oldblu65
05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I had the same problem on my 2000 Impala and it was the headlight switch causing the problem . Your Ebay buy may be defective or maybe there is another problem ? Short of buying a new switch , I'm not sure how you'd check the one you bought ? Good luck and keep us updated on your progress .

j cAT
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
problem with my 2003 Impala.
PRNDL,and Radio light up just fine during the day, As soon as the automatic headlamps go on, the dash and radio display dim out. I have no Instrument panel lights at all Even when I put on my parking lights. Replaced my head light switch and still does not work. I did buy the switch off ebay so I wonder if I got burned and just buy a new one. The switch looked new no signs of ever been screwed in. I was told it was new. I did read on here mybe BCM. and someone said replaced BCM and did not work. Any help with my problem?

I would check the fuses...if the fuses are good then it may be the dimmer ckt...
if the fuse is blown I would start at the radio....it is very common to have these radio wires hacked ,,,causing these shorts ,,,but it could be elsewhere..

is this vehicle as built or was aftermarket equiptment added,,,alarm,radio, remote start etc....if so good luck...it will take time..

oldblu65
05-18-2009, 05:28 PM
When I had this problem , what would happen is all the lighting would work just fine during the day when the DRL's were on . But when it got dark enough to turn the regular headlights on , all the lighting in the dash , door lighting for the power locks and windows , as well as the lighting in the floor console gearshift indicator would go totally off . The headlight switch contains the electronic circuitry that controls the dimming of all the before listed items and when the regular headlights came on , you lost all of the above lighting . It's possible you have a different problem but if the lights work during the daytime , that would eliminate a fuse problem ? Keep us updated and good luck !

shopboyjr
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Got home late today this is my wife's car and it is dark outside and all my lights for my door locks,windows and cruise do not work in the dark. I thought i checked the fuses and i will double check tomorrow. do you know if if that fuse is on the driver side or the passenger side. when i look at the owner manual I would say it is on the passenger side and the fuse is marked front parking lights,instrument lighting. I pulled that fuse and put it back in and my door lockes made a noise like it was locking. Thanks for any help will keep you all up to date.

shopboyjr
05-19-2009, 05:51 PM
All my fuses are good. I did notice that my rear parking lights and light for my licence plate don't work. should i just buy a new dimmer switch? Mybe the one on ebay was bad. Any other ideas

J-Ri
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
While I don't know offhand which side it's on, with any electrical problem I like to check every fuse I can find. Sometimes a system gets power from another system that you wouldn't guess from looking at the fuse labels. That's rare, but worth checking. You can test every fuse in the car in about 5 minutes with a test light.

shopboyjr
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
I test every fuse today both sides and under the hood. Thanks

shopboyjr
05-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I had a chance to work on the car today and found the problem.I started buy checking the power at the switch.To check, remove the switch, then pull the knob out to turn on the lights. Use a meter or test light... the Brn/White wire should be +12V (feeds the dimmer) and the grey wire should have positive voltage that changes when you turn the dimmer knob. I had no power. I found out the other day my rear tail light where not working. I thought I checked all the fuses but I used a meter and checked the tops and they all worked. I did pull all of my instrument panel lights and they where good. so today I pulled my rear tail light fuse and it was blown. Put new fuse in every thing is working. Hard to belive that the tail light fuse being blown would take out the instrument panel lights. THANK FOR ALL THE HELP, Shopboyjr

j cAT
05-24-2009, 08:50 PM
you and others have had this occur where the fuse was the problem all along...

now the tough question ...why did that fuse blow??????
hopefully it was not because of a short in the wiring......to car body..

Add your comment to this topic!