Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 bravada front wheel locking up

oldschool1234
05-16-2009, 10:30 AM
the front differential and drive shaft has recently been changed. Now within minutes of driving the vehicle the front drivers side wheel tries to lock up. you can feel the vehicle pull to that side and there is a loud squeling noise. Can the front drive shaft be taken out or the all wheel drive disabled on a permanent basis. I was told vehicle will get better gas milage, and i really don't need all wheel drive, as it is just a work vehicle

Chris Stewart
05-16-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't recommend removing the front driveshaft...the cutaway pics of the transfer case look like there's a planetary arrangment and will wipeout the viscous clutch, kinda like running with one wheel off the ground on a positraction rear end.
Because you have wheel binding trouble, I believe it needs to go to a shop where the front differential can be checked for proper gear ratio and bearing/output shaft condition. It would be rough if the front wheel broke off while you were traveling.

oldschool1234
05-21-2009, 06:48 PM
had vehicle in the air in gear. both back and pass. side wheels turn. if brake is slightly engaged front other wheel tries to turn. if motor is revved up the wheel will then turn. when motor idles down, not completely though the wheel will stop. brakes, and calipers are not dragging. it all appears normal. any ideas

ericn1300
05-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Go back to your first post:

the front differential and drive shaft has recently been changed. Now within minutes of driving the vehicle the front drivers side wheel tries to lock up. you can feel the vehicle pull to that side and there is a loud squeling noise. Can the front drive shaft be taken out or the all wheel drive disabled on a permanent basis. I was told vehicle will get better gas milage, and i really don't need all wheel drive, as it is just a work vehicle

Can you take it back to the mechanic that swapped out the differential under warranty? It seems that your problem is there. Could be as simple as not enough fluid in the case.

Add your comment to this topic!