Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Impreza Outback ignition switch question

Banditxkr
05-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey everyone thanks in advance,

I have a 95 impreza outback and I've got ignition switch problems. My car will turn on perfectly but my accessories such as the heater and radio don't come on. I've decided to rewire the accessories to a toggle switch so i can continue to use my same key and not buy a new switch.
Anyways, my problem comes when I tear switch out from the tumbler. On the switch there are four wires and I need to know which ones are the heater, radio, etc. the four wires are as follows:

Top:Blue strip (left), white stip (right)
Bottom: Black strip (left), Yellow strip (right)

when i touched the top two together while the car was on, they sparked. I don't know if that helps or not? but please help me out.

Thanks again!

Banditxkr
05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Ok here's an update, I did some various power tests and came up with a possible set, but I could be wrong.

White = power from battery
Yellow = spins motor over
Black = Starter
Blue = accesories

Unfortunately I also played around with bypassing the ignition switch and determined this is not the problem. I hotwired the car and it still isn't working properly. And because of my power tests I ave determined that the radio (accesories) isn't on the same wire as my blower (not really sure which wire it is, but it can't be on the same one as the radio because they work at different stages of the key)

I'm open to any and all suggestions now.

Banditxkr
05-16-2009, 08:18 PM
OK here's another update. My problem is definetly something to do with a power overload, if I unplug certain things otherthings start working, the more I plug in the less it seems to work. Also my bright lights don't work at all anymore, except when I pull back on them to flash them. Other than that they don't work. What could possibly be overloaded?

Banditxkr
05-26-2009, 10:28 PM
OK here's another update. My problem is definetly something to do with a power overload, if I unplug certain things otherthings start working, the more I plug in the less it seems to work. Also my bright lights don't work at all anymore, except when I pull back on them to flash them. Other than that they don't work. What could possibly be overloaded?

ok this is embarassing, but the headlight problem was because I accidently turned the switch off. oops.

I still can't diagnose my power problem. It's not the battery because it's still putting out 12v, it's not the alternator because my problem still exists in teh accsesory mode and I can drive it without killing my battery and losing all power. I've checked fuses, I've cleaned ground wires, right now I'm at a total loss, any advice would be great.

Add your comment to this topic!