Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tranny swap help!!!! plzzz

lilaclove
05-13-2009, 07:12 AM
I have a 95 buick lesabre (my baby) and a 95 grand am. Could the transmission from the grand am be placed in to the buick? Im not to car smart, but i aint your average female that thinks a timing belt needs a buckle. I believe the only problem could be the housing. Im not sure.

Jrs3800
05-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Gear ratio will be way off..

As well we need to know what year the Grand am is.. and what engine it has in it..

The bell housing between the 2 cars is the same..

lilaclove
05-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Gear ratio will be way off..

As well we need to know what year the Grand am is.. and what engine it has in it..

The bell housing between the 2 cars is the same..
Both are 95 with 3.8 v6

maxwedge
05-13-2009, 12:18 PM
The Grand Am never had a 3.8? Better look into this!

Jrs3800
05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Thats agreed.. if it is a 1995 then its a 3100 V6... Far from the same... And if it is a 3100 it will have the 3.33 gear ratio..

The Lesabre will be 2.84 or 3.06 depending on model

lilaclove
05-14-2009, 07:18 AM
The Grand Am never had a 3.8? Better look into this!
yea.. i looked at it last night... your right, i play with numbers to much to keep things completely straight. this has been a big question for me for a month now, and i still cant find the answer.

But foreal im not even worried about the idea anymore because i dont have the help nor the access to my families garage. I deciede to just tow my buick to a shop and let them do it, at least i get a warenty and i dont have to take time off to work on it.

spinne1
05-15-2009, 05:09 PM
At this point in a 95 Lesabre's life, it is no longer economically sensible to pay someone to put in a rebuilt transmission. The cost to do this (I would imagine at least $2000) would be approximately the same as the amount to purchase a different but properly working 95 Lesabre. The smartest move would probably be to sell your 95 as is to a do-it-yourselfer for $500 or as much as you can get and then put that towards another 95.

Nevertheless, I know how attached we can get to our cars.

lilaclove
05-18-2009, 07:06 AM
At this point in a 95 Lesabre's life, it is no longer economically sensible to pay someone to put in a rebuilt transmission. The cost to do this (I would imagine at least $2000) would be approximately the same as the amount to purchase a different but properly working 95 Lesabre. The smartest move would probably be to sell your 95 as is to a do-it-yourselfer for $500 or as much as you can get and then put that towards another 95.

Nevertheless, I know how attached we can get to our cars.

well actually the buick is currently in the hop havin her transmission rebuilt for 1100. honest if i was to buy i new car i would have to pay for the car, tags and title, not to mention insurance, which could cause my insurance to go up. so i think that its more economical to just fix what i have.. and as far as doing it my self i could.. how ever my grand father wont let me use the garage. I work 6 days a week and dont have time to handle it in a few days.

Add your comment to this topic!