2001 Yukon XL..power steering issues

Steve'o
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
On my 2001 XL, the power steering seems to be going out but ONLY on right hand turns....left turns are fine. It is intermitent and very hard to steer even on the freeway at 75MPH ......dangerous also. There is also a 'hissing' noise coming from the firewall when it does become hard to steer. Couls it be ther gear box, PS pump or other. I'm lost on this one.
:banghead:

2000CAYukon
05-11-2009, 06:57 PM
P/S pump has no idea if you are turning right or left. The gear box is the most likely culprit.

//2000CAYukon

markdpro
09-15-2010, 10:57 PM
There is a steering sensor at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft, inside the truck, A small disk that turns in a gray housing. GM calls it the steering position sensor. I replaced mine because the steering went suddenly light in smooth left turns. The sensor controls the power steering rate through an electronic orifice in the power steering. Could Be.

markdpro
09-15-2010, 11:28 PM
On my 2001 XL, the power steering seems to be going out but ONLY on right hand turns....left turns are fine. It is intermitent and very hard to steer even on the freeway at 75MPH ......dangerous also. There is also a 'hissing' noise coming from the firewall when it does become hard to steer. Couls it be ther gear box, PS pump or other. I'm lost on this one.
:banghead:

There is a steering position module that can cause wierd stuff. It causes the power steering to change its rate of boost.

This module, I bought mine from HELP part #31025

About an hour to replace.

Slide seat fully back

Disconnect neg ground for at least half an hour to Disable air bags.

Remove 15mm nut to separate steering shaft just before it goes through firewall under the dash.

Push shaft off towards, (through the) fire wall.

The device is in a grey housing concentric to the shaft,

Carefully work back the three plastic clips and the disk will come free

Carefully remove locker (a plastic insert) and unclip junction to device lead.

Slide off disk

The plug will slide out if you tease it through carefully.

Clean shaft with electronic cleaner

Install new sensor the brass goes towards the steering wheel.

There is a slot in the top of the gray housing to locate the wires

Tease the coupling back into position reattach and insert lock

Click the sensor in place

Reinstall shaft and bolt.

Add your comment to this topic!