Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 cavalier

knilive2
05-10-2009, 04:00 PM
i just purchase a 98 cavalier 2.4 liter in the waterpump went out of it. i read up on how to do it but i just wanted to know of any problems i might run across. i see this is alot of work . please help

J-Ri
05-10-2009, 10:14 PM
It is certainly a lot of work, but really fairly straight-forward. You'll want to replace the thermostat with a good one because if it fails in the future you will have to take it back apart to replace it. Also take a good look at the head gasket, if it is leaking at all, I'd advise you do it while you have the engine that far apart.

knilive2
05-11-2009, 02:11 PM
thanks for the only reply. your a great deal of help. i think i m going to attack it in the morning. i tried to get a shop to do it but there talking $1200 which is way more then what i payed for the car. then they saying that they have problem adjesting those timing chains on that model. i m not afraid just looking forward to all the long hours of work on this moster. thanks again.

J-Ri
05-11-2009, 03:39 PM
You're very welcome. On the subject of the timing chain, I forgot (probably the most important part) to say that after you get it all lined up, rotate the engine two full turns by hand. Stop rotating if you get more resistance than you should. This is an interference engine which means the valves will hit the pistons if the timing is off. After those two revolutions, make sure the timing marks still line up. If they do, you're ready to go back together. For the tensioner, you need to remove it and press it back in on a workbench. Once you get it pressed in, install it on the engine and with a screwdriver between the piston and the tensioner, twist so that the screwdriver pushes in on the piston, this will release it and put enough tension on it to hold the chain until you get oil pressure back. It's normal to have the chain slap around in the housing a little bit (sounds horrible and you'll be sure you screwed something up), don't worry it will go away after a few seconds to a couple minutes depending on how good the oil pump is. Crank the engine in flood clear mode for about 15 seconds before you fire it up, that will hopefully get some oil back to the tensioner and reduce or eliminate the chain slapping around.

knilive2
05-12-2009, 07:46 AM
wow this is kinda scaring me a little. i have been reading n i was going to lock the cams n place with a 8mm screww to keep the timing from moving thank on the tensioner because i have been trying to figure that one out. do i still have to turn the cam is i line every thing up n put the 8mm screw n place then take the tension and chain off. without moving the timing then put the chain back on with tension n keep it moving. trying to keep from running into any major problems.

J-Ri
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I do remember something about an 8mm screw to hold the cams, but I don't remember if I did that or not. I have only done one that was on my Grand Am, I did the head gasket at the same time so I had to take everything apart. Just don't remember if I used screws once i got them back in... That was one I did on my own time, so I had a few beers while I was doing it and I'm a bit hazy on everything I did after lunch. I suppose there's no reason you need to take the chain off as long as you can keep tension on it so it doesn't jump a tooth. Just be sure that you do rotate the engine 2 full revolutions and recheck the marks. If you go past the marks, just keep going, turning this engine backwards will also smash the valves into the piston because the tensioner will allow lots of slack in the chain if force is put on it. You'll have to go in multiples of two because the cams turn at half the speed of the crank.

Add your comment to this topic!