Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

running rough after intake replacement

jtippett10
05-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I just replaced the lower and upper intake on my 2001 impala 3.8 160,000 miles. I have it all put back together and now it leaks coolant very badly under the oil filter. It also runs very rough with a rattling noise. Any ideas would help.

maxwedge
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Due respect here, but only you can trace down the leak. Same with the noise, any cel, when does it run rough at idle? Plug wires in the right order?

jtippett10
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
the leak is constant, but I cannot find it for the life of me. it is definately coming fromthe rght side of the engine. When I try to start the car, it runs so rough that the engine literally moves so much it shakes the car. It will start, but it idles at about 500 RPMs. the leak gets worse when I try to start the car. I am going crazy. I am obviously an amateur mechanic, and I am afraid I am in way over my head.

maxwedge
05-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Stop where you are get a pro involved. The leaks could be the fitting on the manifold or even a water pump, the roughness still sounds like crossed wires.

manicmechanix
05-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Stop where you are get a pro involved. The leaks could be the fitting on the manifold or even a water pump, the roughness still sounds like crossed wires.

I agree. But check the heater hoses near the water pump. If you idling at 500 rpm maybe you dont have the IAC connected?

Add your comment to this topic!