heater hose connector broke off in block

jude Allister
05-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I have a '97 Tahoe 5.7 l and the heater hose connector that goes to the mainfold broke off clean right where the threads start. I tried to tap it out with a screwdriver but to no avail. I was thinking of trying a tap and die to get it out but wasn't sure if the aluminum would handle it. I don't want to mess up the threads in the manifold. Anyone have any other ideas before I try to tap it out???

rhandwor
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com/ search item number 250323605984 Lisle62200

jude Allister
05-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks alot this was exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if there are any local stores (Advance - autozone-etc...)I may be able to get one? This happens to be my only vehicel at the moment and I need to have it back running sometime tomorrow.

j cAT
05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks alot this was exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if there are any local stores (Advance - autozone-etc...)I may be able to get one? This happens to be my only vehicel at the moment and I need to have it back running sometime tomorrow.

using a hack saw blade with a blade holder that causes the blade end to be un obstructed ,,cut the broken fitting 90deg to the circumference....then using a flat blade screw driver hit the fitting where it is cut with the fitting cut this will cause the metal to loosen so that a long nosed pliers will allow you to remove...

in the future use a small propane torch to heat if removal is difficult...although usually these break due to a corroded coolant system...

when installing use a thread sealant and clean the bore using a pipe[round] wire brush.....

do not use any easy outs or try to drill it out...if these break off now your screwed...also they rarely work...with pipe fittings....

NoEcm
05-10-2009, 11:41 PM

This might help:

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/pa/heater_hose.html

rhandwor
05-11-2009, 08:26 AM
While I've noticed them in a parts store this isn't a normal easy out.
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/Lis-62450.html
From the link it is very easy to make a mistake requiring a re tap and larger thread insert. If the part breaks I always can feel before I get to the point and either take a chance or stopping. You can drill out with a carbite tipped steel bit. On this job use a hole saw around a broken easy out.
I have one and it is bigger than a tip on a 1/2 breaker bar.

jude Allister
05-23-2009, 12:33 PM
I was actually able to take a 3/4" tap and tap out the hole enough to get the connector started and put it in. It cut through the old and made some new threads of it's own but it worked like a charm with a little plumbers tape as a backup seal. Thanks for all the help guys.
Oh yeah I made sure to flush the block really wel to get out any littw pieces that may have fallen in

rhandwor
05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm glad it worked as it takes a 1/2 NPT with a 14 pitch thread. 3/4 taps are either 10 or 16 pitch although the diameter is close.
As long as it don't leak it should hold up fine.

j cAT
05-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I was actually able to take a 3/4" tap and tap out the hole enough to get the connector started and put it in. It cut through the old and made some new threads of it's own but it worked like a charm with a little plumbers tape as a backup seal. Thanks for all the help guys.
Oh yeah I made sure to flush the block really wel to get out any littw pieces that may have fallen in

I agree use the correct pipe thread tap...these are tapered ..this will insure no leaks, and it won't fall off...

using grease on the tap threads will hold the metal shavings..
good luck..

brcidd
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
When this happened to me, I walked into my local tools supply store, and they took one look at my piece- sold me the easy out, and the pipe tap as a kit-- told me they sell one a week to local shops, and many DIYs....was really delighted to get both-- but I did have to use a 4 ft breaker bar to get that easy out to work- was sure I'd break it first-- but it worked....

j cAT
05-24-2009, 11:02 AM
When this happened to me, I walked into my local tools supply store, and they took one look at my piece- sold me the easy out, and the pipe tap as a kit-- told me they sell one a week to local shops, and many DIYs....was really delighted to get both-- but I did have to use a 4 ft breaker bar to get that easy out to work- was sure I'd break it first-- but it worked....

this is why I suggested not to use the easy out,,,as this used with a 4ft breaker bar can snap off...pipe thread steel is too soft for this to work correctly....

chasing the threads as he did is much safer if done correctly..

Add your comment to this topic!