Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Duplicolor Chrome Questions

I LURV
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
So I am not using this on a car but I thought I would ask about this product here since it is meant for automotive use and you guys are the pros in experience with cars/car paints so uhm my question.

I'm using Duplicolor Chrome Instant Dry (ENAMEL) on a plastic jug (orange peel surface and I kept it that way because I need its rustic look).
I am not caring that its not authentic chrome but the fact its very reflective is what intrigued me.

I notice (I have read peoples stories of this stuff and their experiences too) that after a day of drying in about 25celsius indoors temp fingerprints are still going on the paint. (Ok i know sometimes enamels can take a week or something to fully harden but uhm the outer coat should dry enough to be fingerprint-proof). The paint, scratches easily which is understandable if its not completely hardened/cured (I have about 4-5 FULL coats on this jug).

I followed the instructions on the can very precisely.

Can anyone help me with this? I mean, can I like use non abrasive turtle wax or something after this stuff fully cures? I know I CANNOT absolutely cannot clear coat this it even says warning from the company itself. But I need to know if there is a way of making it scratch resistant and fingerprint resistant to some extent.

Some people have said it takes 3 months for this stuff to fully harden but I find that hard to believe unless you are living inside of a full carbon-based planet.

The jug is a prop that is worn and being used so it needs to take handling and scratches.

Any help from people who used this product before would be very much appreciated and I know its not a CAR question but I don't know where else to look the guys at the company who sell this stuff take centuries to respond to my emails.

Also forgot to mention, how does one know when the enamel has fully hardened for sure?

Tibi Keke
05-08-2009, 06:17 AM
What a coincidence! You asked this just hours faster than me. I am also interested to know more about this paint, because where i live is the complett Alclad II range not sold (yet). So my only alternativ is to buy Duplicolor Chrome in spray can.
I ask also the more experienced guys here if this Duplicolor paint gives a nice shine, simillar to the chrome that i will need to stripp because many parts are damaged. And i would like to ask you also if it is any trick to get this nice shine, i mean is a need for black glossy base like the Alclad II Chrome or the surface could be just glossy , white for example?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Tibi Keke
05-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I searched on the Duplicolor Website and found this two products :
The Black "effect primer" http://www.duplicolor.de/webgate/WG_5_2.nsf/ContentByKey/PKXR-5W3FBY-DE-p
and the Silver Chrome paint : http://www.duplicolor.de/webgate/WG_5_2.nsf/ContentByKey/PKXR-5W3ELJ-DE-p
The paint is drying in 30 min. , if its true what they write there, this paint is rezistent against scraches, weather and high temperature (up to 150°!)
I ordered today the paints and hope to get them soon.

Add your comment to this topic!