Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing chain on 3.4 engine

Bill Wilky
05-07-2009, 09:41 AM
At how many miles should you change a timing chain? One guy told me that since its a chain do not worry about changinging it. Another guy sdaid that it should be changed every 75,000 miles. I have a 1999 Olds Sil. with the 3.4 engine. 94,000 miles on it.

MagicRat
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
75k miles is far too frequent.

There is no specified change interval for chains. They often last the life of the car.

Usually people change them when symptoms occur, such as an audible chain slapping sound, or if the chain skips a tooth and the engine stops running.

On cars with a distributor, one can use a timing light to detect loose chains. If the illuminated timing mark is steady, the chain is probably okay. If the timing mark wanders slightly at idle, the chain may be loose.

I would suggest, in your case, do not worry about it for now. If you are concerned, then change the timing chain and sprockets the next time you change the waterpump (since the waterpump needs to be removed to change the chain anyways.)

For my used and classic vehicles, they often show 150k+ miles on them before I change the chains. As noted above, usually I am doing a waterpump at the same time, so it's not much extra work.

civic lx
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
If you are concerned, then change the timing chain and sprockets the next time you change the waterpump (since the waterpump needs to be removed to change the chain anyways.)

This isn't something I would want to do while changing the water pump. Their just isnt much room to work. I just put my engine together on a stand and it took a lot of time. And just the thought of doing it in the van, man thats bad. The water pump is bolted into the front engine cover and can be removed as a assy. But without removing the engine that would be a nightmare.

Your chain should be fine though.

Bill Wilky
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Thank you guys for your quick response.

Add your comment to this topic!