Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Testors Metalizers

guiwee
05-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Im currently building tamiyas 1/12 renault 20 and the paint guide calls for aluminum.I dont want to use ts-17 gloss alum. I dont have an airbrush and as this is 1/12 the pieces are to big to hand brush,so i gotta use spray cans.So i picked up testors aluminum plate(buffing metalizer).My question is how long does it take to dry?Its allready been 3 days and that stuff is still coming off on my hands.Ive used a rag to buff it lightly but to no avail it seems to constantly shed paint.Anyone got any ideas?Maybe a different brand or color or paint? Also i want to strip the chrome off and use alclad on the wheels and wings.After the chrome is off the painting process remains the same correct?Prime,paint,etc.?

ZoomZoomMX-5
05-06-2009, 11:55 AM
It's doing what it's supposed to; buffing metalizers shed material as it's buffed, it's meant to wipe away and help polish the finish. You want the non-buffing metalizer if you want the sprayed finish to stay the same.

If you have a hardware store that sells Krylon sprays, they have an excellent spray "Dull Aluminum" in their metallic line (1403 Dull Aluminum) that sprays very thin and very nice, as good as hobby paints. The only place I can find it is at a well-stocked ACE hardware store.

SilverMk2
05-06-2009, 09:27 PM
You need to apply the Metalizer sealer over it

CFarias
05-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Indeed, Testors metalizers must be sealed to reduce the risk of rub off. I've been satisfied with Testors metalizers, particularly with their satin appearance and variety of colors, but for durability the Alclad is definitely the way to go.

I'm sure you are already considering an airbrush purchase in the future. When you do buy it you will be amazed at how easily you can achieve all kinds of metal finishes with it. You will also be able to mix your own custom shades should you need to.

Add your comment to this topic!