Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

H6 a/c compressor shaft seal

danshot
05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Wondering if anyone knows about replacing the shaft seal from a 95 lesabre or equivalent a/c compressor. I have remove my seal, but it seems to me that if this is where the system was losing its refridgerant, which it was, the the seal I removed really wouldn't hold any type of pressure. It really looks like any other type of shaft seal, with a rubbertype seal around the shaft. Is there an other seal internal to the compressor that seals in the refridgerant? Or is the seal I removed, that kind of looks like a small rear main seal, the seal that holds the pressure. Thanks for any knowledge.

HotZ28
05-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Click Here (http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=18627) for more details.

Smith1000
05-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you removed the right seal. I have a seal kit right here in front of me. Says there will be the following on the shaft. Order is as if you were taking it apart:

oil wick (if used)
shaft seal dust cover (if used)
seal retainer ring
lip seal (it does look like a small main seal) metal w/rubber in middle
Seal seat o-ring (under lip seal on shaft)

I need to replace the seal on my 97. I haven't pulled the compressor yet. Did you need any special tools beside the tool needed to remove the retainer ring? I have that tool, but not the rest. The instructions mention several special tools, but I am wondering if it can be done without any additional special tools.

danshot
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
You will need a hub puller/installer. You should be able to get one from autozone or such. They didn't have the one I needed, so I just bought one off of ebay. 27.99 plus shipping. I figured what the heck. I'm still confused about how the seal holds the 150psi charge from escaping if it is only a rubber seal.

Smith1000
05-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks. From what I read, all shaft seals leak a little bit. Over time, they leak out and need to be recharged. Both of my 97 Buicks leak. One of them leaks out rapidly. The other will hold it for quite a while.

Maybe Harbor Freight will have the ac tools. Sometimes they carry stuff like that. If not, I'll go the Ebay route.

Add your comment to this topic!