95 Trooper Leaking Coolant

bigman5956
05-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey guys well my trooper overheated on me about couple days ago. Funny thing was that it was fluctuating from normal to hot and back to normal. Well made it home and changed out thermostat thought it was the culprit. I drove it for about 5 minutes and it didnt overheat but I was probably not driving long enough well anyways I parked it in my driveway and literally like 2 minutes later there was coolant just leaking all over my drive way. My buddy took a look at it and said it was coming from the back of the engine. We thought the block went bad and did one of those tests and the engine isnt bad at all. So now he thinks its the freeze plugs but another person told me it could be my heater core or water pump. And if it helps its actually leaking on to my exhaust causing to make a sweet burning smell after I turn the car off. Im completely stumped and was hoping somebody can help me before I decide to take it into a shop. Any help will be appreciated thanks

ricebike
05-05-2009, 08:02 AM
yes, could be heater core/ the hoses to it/ freeze plug...

but, water pump's in the front of the engine... is it leaking from the weep hole? if not move back to where you see it leaking

put a pressure tester on the system so you can spot where it's coming out when someone pumps the pressure up manually-- is the only way unless you pay for a ticket for me to come look for myself

bigman5956
05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Well thanks for the help I dont think Ill be flying you down here lol. But yea I figured it couldnt be the water pump because its in the front. I have no idea where the heater core is on these cars. But yea im going to do pressure test is there some way you can do it yourself or buy something from like autozone. I dont want to have to pay someone let alone having to tow it to someone just to do pressure test

ricebike
05-05-2009, 11:48 AM
common sense says heater core will be right into the firewall & you'll see 2 hoses coming out of it:grinno: they're 5/8" thick... you can't just stick your hand and feel around back there? (of course, w/ the engine cold)

yea im going to do pressure test is there some way you can do it yourself or buy something from like autozone

yeap, rent a tool free loaner program

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/inourstores/lat/latLanding.jsp?bodyContent=heatingAndCooling

bigman5956
05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Well I could feel around for it but i dont even know what it looks like ive never had to look for a heater core before let alone see one.:wink:

bigman5956
05-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Wait a minute I just saw some pictures of what it looks like and its quite expensive to lol. So your saying the heater core is right around the firewall? Is there a way to see if this is leaking with out having to do the pressure test. Maybe start the car and let the pressure build it self?

ricebike
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
your heater core isn't the leaking problem, the hoses to it is one of the things to check back in that area... along w/ some bypass hoses

look at an online parts store like autozone and see what those heater hoses look like... you've got a few back there from a metal pipe to the heater core itself...

then go and feel up your engine bay for the same type of hoses... 5/8" in thickness

boritz
05-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Another possibility (happened on my 3.2V6):

there is a large cross-over coolant pipe on the rear of the motor joining the heads. Its gasket(s) can fail, or the 'O' ring which seal the join to a connected pipe.

Very hard to get at.

Check out the photo in (about) the 4th post of this thread: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=15158

ricebike
05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
nice pix of the back of the engine!

now he knows what to look/feel for if he can get his hand down there...

i think you're better off w/ a pressure tester/ and a inspection mirror to see where it's gushing out... add coolant temp sensor as a possibility too:eek7:

bigman5956
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
ill try to see if i can reach down there today

ummelman
05-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Good info here, thanks to all who post!

I have a '96 Trooper, and have noticed the smell of coolant, hot coolant, in the car interior (cab)...and believe it is coming through the air vents, if possible. Anyone have any experience with this, and advice as to my next step, other than to my mechanic?

Thanks for your help!

Add your comment to this topic!