Crankshaft wont turn

smarks76
05-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I just bought a used 95 isusu rodeo for 300 bucks, it doesnt run I needed it for parts for my other vehicle. well now i am curious to see if i can get it running. It's a 2.6L engine with manual transmission. I have taken most of the engine apart, i am now to the crankshaft, timing belt is off and so is pulley. it just wont budge, i have tried it in different gears and in neutral and with the clutch in. am i doing something wrong to try and turn it or is the engine just never gonna run again. any info would be helpful to me cause i dont know that much about cars but i am learning very quikly.

Cat Fuzz
05-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Was the timing belt off or broken when you bought it? Did the engine turn before removing the timing belt? The Rodeo 4 banger is an interference engine and if the crank is turned with the belt off, there's a good chance the pistons are coming in contact with the valves.

smarks76
05-05-2009, 01:49 AM
yes the timing belt was on but it wasnt turning, all other pulleys turn. i bought the truck for the tires and new that it wasnt running. when i would turn the key it would just make a few little clicks, sometimes none at all. even tried push starting it but no luck. the previoous owner said that it wasnt getting enough compression due to the wrong size bolts but after taking things apart i found only one or two bolts like that but they shouldnt have caused a problem. i did notice that the distributer cap wasnt screwed all the way on due to the wrong kind of screws but that has now been taken off now. when i turn the camshaft with a 24in. breaker bar it doesnt budge. i have done work like this on my 95 passport and had no trouble so i figured i could do this one, but my passport is a v6 with auto transmission. if it is the pistons hitting the valves what would be the best way to go about it to find out. i have not got a chance to do any internal engine work yet, i kinda looking forward to it.

Cat Fuzz
05-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Will the crank turn in either direction? If not, it's probably got a thrown rod or a seized up rod bearing.

I don't know what you mean by not having compression because of wrong size bolts.

smarks76
05-06-2009, 05:40 AM
that was just what the guy who sold me the truck said, i am sure he was just trying to get rid of it. but i did get the camshaft to turn this morning but it took alot of work . so much work that now that when the crankshaft turns i cant turn it the other way to get the bolt back off. I realy got it stuck on there from 3 days of spinning it the other way. so when i try to back it off it just spins the whole crankshaft. I will try other things tomorrow, but i was more worried about why it wouldnt turn in the first place. just so you know when i turn it now it makes kind of a squeking sound. kinda like it really didnt want to turn. but i spun it many times both ways but dont know what it it really should feel like. i am kinda new at this. i have been taking pictures of everything and will post the whole procedure soon. that is if i can ever get this thing to start but after today it may be possible, but i dont want to put it back together thinking i fixed the problem and that not even be close.

Add your comment to this topic!