Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How easy are they to work on?

Sheresh07
05-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Title says it all, I was curious how easy these bad boys are to work on? I'm looking at a 1996 Base 2dr Coupe with 98k for $2500, and I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. (If I see it done or can get my hands on a manual I'm good)

Would like to do most of the maintenance/upgrading myself (if I decide to mod it at all), so how easy are they to work on?

Morley
05-04-2009, 01:41 AM
The 4th gens would be the hardest since the engine is up under the cowl part way.
As far as "how hard", that depends on what you are looking to do.

Sheresh07
05-04-2009, 02:06 AM
The 4th gens would be the hardest since the engine is up under the cowl part way.
As far as "how hard", that depends on what you are looking to do.

Well general stuff really, I'd like to be able to do my own oil changes, filters, light bolt on mods, maybe some moderate mods. I'd really like to be able to also fix any problems that may arise myself, unless it is something fairly major like transmission work etc. I just want to be able to say I got under the hood and tried to fix it myself before I have to pay a mechanic to fix it.

Oh and could you possibly tell me what the aftermarket parts are like for the 4th Gen v6? Been googling around but not finding a whole lot

goldz28
05-04-2009, 03:47 AM
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/catalog/index.php?cPath=236

Morley
05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Well general stuff really, I'd like to be able to do my own oil changes, filters, light bolt on mods, maybe some moderate mods. I'd really like to be able to also fix any problems that may arise myself, unless it is something fairly major like transmission work etc. I just want to be able to say I got under the hood and tried to fix it myself before I have to pay a mechanic to fix it.

Oh and could you possibly tell me what the aftermarket parts are like for the 4th Gen v6? Been googling around but not finding a whole lot

General day to day maintenance, same as any other rear wheel drive car, pretty easy.
Boltons for the V6? Few and far between. The V8's are the engines of choice obviously for the power they can produce.

Add your comment to this topic!