Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Trailblazer Ticking Sound

slimm22
05-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I have a strange problem going on. I replaced the head gaskets on my 2000 Trailblazer 4.3 (4X4), and now it has a ticking sound when I first start it, but after it warms up the ticking stops. And I also have a Cylinder 1 Misfire code that keeps coming up. Please Help, cause I'm in the process of giving it to my mother, but have to fix it first.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::ban ghead:

Kamann
07-05-2009, 11:18 PM
piston slap happens at cold start-up due to lack of oil in the top end of the engine...very common in Chevys

jyount
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a strange problem going on. I replaced the head gaskets on my 2000 Trailblazer 4.3 (4X4), and now it has a ticking sound when I first start it, but after it warms up the ticking stops. And I also have a Cylinder 1 Misfire code that keeps coming up. Please Help, cause I'm in the process of giving it to my mother, but have to fix it first.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::ban ghead:

injectors could be noisy.
piston slap is probably your noise, they have had a couple lifter problems also, not many though. Listen with stethescope to 1 if that is misfiring...could be lifter, probably fuel or fire though.

I assume you meant 4.2....
I have worked on a few of these that mice have gotten to the injector and coil wires, don't know why, but they seem to like trailblazers if they are available:)

Other than that, swap coils with 2, then swap injectors with 2, see if it follows either....
Contrary to what STP and others make a fortune on, if your injector is stopped up the ONLY repair is to replace or have it rebuilt, They are very small orifices and stop up. The coil part of it can go bad too...

jyount
07-15-2009, 11:21 PM
noticed 2000, maybe that is a 4.3, trailblazer like the package of a blazer right, not a "trailblazer"

Still same applies, except they are not known for piston slap, check the oil cap, see if you have antifreeze in the oil making lifter noise...
They are well known for intake leaks, but they leak externally not internally.
As for the fuel system, you cannot swap em, the fuel manifold is an assembly on those things, have to pull the upper intake to get to em too. As for a miss on 1 check the plug wires and plug, not uncommon ESP on aftermarket wires. I guess those little v6s have alot of heat soak around the plug wires.

Add your comment to this topic!