cooling fans on 1999 elantra still not working

jyoung1z
05-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi everyone. Got all things with the car fixed except the cooling fans still not working right.

From my other posts car is the 1999 elantra with 2.0 engine, auto trans, I put a replacement engine from a tibiron in the car.

I replaced the Water temp sensor, the cooling fan relay, the actual fan replaced due to, " did not work at all" and the ECU.

when I start the car up both fans turn on after few minutes.

Then they both go off, and are not cycling on again when needed.

If you turn on the air conditioning They both come on. So I have no idea of what is causing this problem. Are both fans supposed to come on after you start the car and it is just idling?
Again thanks for any assistance with trying to help troubleshoot this problem.

Thank you,

peachferrari
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
The fans will come on and off as needed to help cool the engine and the coolant. If your coolant temp is staying steady (ie: not overheating) then it's perfectly normal to have the fans come on even when it's just idling.

Scrapper
05-04-2009, 10:29 PM
i agree on the fans kicking off and on like they should if it's not over heating then it should be fine. but keep a eye on temp guage for a couple of day's and if it does not over heat like i said your fine.

ricebike
05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
you can rig one of the fans to a separate manual relay/switch if you're paranoid about it...

does both turn on when you use defrost/ ac mode?

jyoung1z
05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
The fans will come on and off as needed to help cool the engine and the coolant. If your coolant temp is staying steady (ie: not overheating) then it's perfectly normal to have the fans come on even when it's just idling.

HI and thanks for your reply. I guess I didn't explain this problem good enough.

When I start the car both fans come on for awhile , But Then They Shut off, and DO NOT COME BACK ON, even when Temperature Rises ABOVE were it should, to Cause cooling fans to come back on.

That is the Problem, They never come back on, UNLESS the A/C is turned on.

Thank you again. hopefully someone can help troubleshoot this problem.

jyoung1z
05-05-2009, 05:50 PM
you can rig one of the fans to a separate manual relay/switch if you're paranoid about it...

does both turn on when you use defrost/ ac mode?

Hi, and yes Both turn on when you use the Air conditioner.

I have new cooling fan relay, Water Temp Sensor, ECU / PCM but the fans come on only once , " within minutes of starting car ", But when they turn off after the initial comming on once, THey Do Not cycle Back ON. Even when the Temperature rises to a level when they should cycle back on.

That is the problem.
THanks for any help in troubleshooting this problem.

ricebike
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
hmm... you probably got a wire short somewhere in the circuit on the input or output side, since you already replaced the sensors and even the ecm?!?!? just for this problem?

at least you know how to bypass it in the meantime, by turning your AC to ON when you see the temps rising to the H...

did you test the old and new water temp sensor to the ECU>ECM? not the temp sensor to your dash cluster...

did you also plug in an obd II scanner and see if there's any trouble codes present?

for example:

P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction

P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

P0119 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Intermittent

.... if the ECU>ECM doesn't read the engine's input temperature, it'll not send a signal to your relay to turn your fan on...

jyoung1z
05-06-2009, 05:27 PM
hmm... you probably got a wire short somewhere in the circuit on the input or output side, since you already replaced the sensors and even the ecm?!?!? just for this problem?

I thought that , but it " the cooling fans", come on everytime I start the car once it has cooled down all the way. So not sure how to check for a wire short.

at least you know how to bypass it in the meantime, by turning your AC to ON when you see the temps rising to the H...

did you test the old and new water temp sensor to the ECU>ECM? not the temp sensor to your dash cluster...

Do you mind telling me how to do this?

did you also plug in an obd II scanner and see if there's any trouble codes present?

for example:

P0115 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction

P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem

P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

P0119 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Intermittent

.... if the ECU>ECM doesn't read the engine's input temperature, it'll not send a signal to your relay to turn your fan on...

NO CEL is on, so I haven't checked for any codes present. I did have the p0116 code, " that is why got new water temp sensor" I replaced both of the sensors too.

Again thanks for your help in this matter. I will check for replies too see what information you have given me to try again.

Thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!