Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to fix inside passenger side door panel

dinok
05-03-2009, 12:47 AM
I got problem.
Inside right side door panel is stuck sometime and the only way how I can open is if someone from inside push it a bit.
I found that some of those retainers are broken and am looking to find replacement for those and fix that, if that would be possible.

What do you guys think about that?? Is it easy fix or do I need to do something else??
If its just plastic peaces like screw looking, then shouldn't be a so hard to fix it, right??

Thanks for your input.

roadrunner2
05-03-2009, 10:12 PM
I got problem.
Inside right side door panel is stuck sometime and the only way how I can open is if someone from inside push it a bit.
I found that some of those retainers are broken and am looking to find replacement for those and fix that, if that would be possible.

What do you guys think about that?? Is it easy fix or do I need to do something else??
If its just plastic peaces like screw looking, then shouldn't be a so hard to fix it, right??

Thanks for your input.

Go to an auto parts outlet or a dealer and buy some plastic door panel retainer clips. They aren't expensive. I think there are 9 or 10 of them total.

If you don't have a thin, flat forked tool to remove the panel you can get one at this time.
Pry ONLY at the clip locations to prevent damaging the panel.
The clips are spaced about 6 to 10 inches apart.

Slowly pry the armrest controls out (use a small screwdriver) and disconnect them (power window switch and door lock switch). Be careful not to damage the door radio speaker wire (if so equipped) after the panel is loose.

Don't forget all the power door lock and window switch harnesses are made of plastic and will break easily, just take your time.
The harnesses can be disconnected from the switches after the switch cover has been pried out.

Make sure the wiring harness connectors are connected to the switches before you attach the panel. Test the switches before the panel is on also.

Remove the screws around the handle and pull the panel off.

Replace the broken/damaged clips and starting with the bottom clips (AFTER reconnecting the door speaker wire) push the panel into place.

Replace the switches and mounting screws and you're done.

Note: while you have the panel off, carefully peel the plastic moisture barrier away and lube the moving window regulator and slides.

Check for wire corrosion, remove power connection harnesses and spray with electrical contact cleaner, re-connect and apply a little dielectric grease to the connectors. Replace the moisture barrier.

dinok
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
hey thanks man, took some of the panel off and pull out one of those pins and bought a bag from autozone, replaced in no time.
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Dino

Add your comment to this topic!