Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mystery missfire

pvollman
05-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I have a 1994 Blazer, 93K miles, with a 350. It has a mysterios dead miss at idle. Will idle than miss, idle than miss. I have changed cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and O-2. No help. Ignition module was changed 2-months ago; new exhaust and cat. Tried to clean the TBI on the intake while running, no help. Checked timing; verified at 0 BTDC. Does ping under load, even with running 91 oct gas. Hooked up scanner; only had EST timing code and cleared that.

Any suggestions would be wonderful on what to do next. :crying:

Blue Bowtie
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
¿Have you tried watching the ignition coil with the engine running in the dark? ¿Have you tested fuel pressure while this was happening?

pvollman
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
No actually I haven't checked the coil; I'll get one today and change it out. Thought about it before I posted. Will let you know. I haven't taken a fuel pressure reading either, but have suspected intermittent failure. Never shot a code for it though. Will reply again when I replace the coil.

toddman67
05-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Spray carb cleaner around the base of throttle body and see if the RPM's change. I have seen several of these gaskets gone bad and created a vacuum leak.

pvollman
05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Okay, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out and see what happens.

pvollman
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Replaced the coil; so far everything is good. Thanks for the assistance.

pvollman
05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Quick update; missfire returned. Checked tightness of TBI before replacing gasket. Retightened 2.5 turns; also changed fuel filter (had black crap in filter; dark black dirt). I'll try that and see what happens...if that doesn't do it I'll drop the tank and change the fuel pump.

toddman67
05-10-2009, 03:05 PM
If the throttle body was that loose, Change the $3.00 ? gasket and pick up fuel pressure tester before you drop the tank. No need to throw $$$ at it without testing first.

pvollman
05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Yes, I hear you....just typing away. I'll change the gasket this next weekend. I have one already. Just thought tighting it would suffice for now. I have to drive it this week for work so I'll see what transpires tonight through Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

pvollman
05-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Changed TBI gasket and put some Lucas in the gas tank. Still idles a little rough but I will drive it to see if it clears out. The throttle has loosened up dramatically and acceleration is better. I don't think a fuel pump is needed at this time. Thanks for the help.:grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!