Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

vacuum hoses

big tex84
05-02-2009, 01:11 AM
ok my 85 f150 w/ 351w H.O. AOD tranny has been sitting for about 6 years now. ive finally decided im tired of it sitting. so i am in the process of getting her back on the road. my first question is, im trying to clear up some of the major clutter of wiring and vacuum hoses, what vacuum hoses do i actually need? im removing all the emmisions junk, the A/C, and i do not care if the cruise control is operational, the only hoses i can think of actually needing are the vacuum for the secondaries, vacuum advance, brake booster. am i correct or are there more that i need to keep. 2nd question how easy is it to switch to a simpler ignition system, i believe i am running the duraspark II, which is a jumble of wires that I dont understand how it works, is it possible to find a distributor from an older 351w that just requires a coil, and doesnt use the duraspark bullcrap? would that work correctly? any help is appreciated.

big tex84
05-04-2009, 03:07 AM
some one has to know

FNA
05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Take all vacuum hoses and wires from engine compartment. Replace them one by one until it starts.

Torch
05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, all you really need to keep the engine running is a vacuum line to the brake booster, a line to the distributor, and if your transmission needs it a vacuum line to the vacuum modulator (I don't personally know if the AOD uses one).

The mid-1980's were a horrible time for carb'ed engines, I refused to work on them because of the Medusa head staring back at you when you opened the hood that would turn you to stone, they worked great out of the factory but as time went by the vacuum hoses dried up, the various vacuum sensors and switches went bad, and trying to troubleshoot them was just a nightmare.

Regarding the Duraspark II ignition...

It works like most basic electronic ignition systems do, there is a pickup coil inside the distributor that creates a very weak pulse signal that is sent to the so called "Brain Box", which then amplifies the signal into a very large pulse signal that then fires the NEG side of the ignition coil which then creates the high voltage that ends up going to your spark plugs.

As far as replacing it goes there is a article that tells you how to do this at: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/12/DuraSpark/index.php

Add your comment to this topic!