Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front struts

harmankardon35
05-01-2009, 04:07 PM
so i'm gonna go ahead and replace my front shocks, just wondering what i should replace. Basically, car rides like a tank, I feel and hear every bump. I also have the crack/clunk from the front coil spring when i first turn the wheel in the morning, and a steady clunking noise when i crank the wheel to make a sharp turn (not CV joint, noise is sitting still or moving) Im thinking this is the upper mount plate/bearings. I was thinking of getting some quick-struts but the price is pretty high, so if i were to get shocks should i replace the upper bearing mounts as well?

fhofstra
05-01-2009, 06:13 PM
HK -
I'm in the same boat w/ my 2000 GLS. Replaced the rear struts last year; now for the fronts.
Yes, one of the things I wished I had done was buy the "bearing plates" for the rear struts.
Here's a link to my old thread of last year. At the end, I summarize what I would do differently. You posted to it, also.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=903000&highlight=rear+struts
A couple of the posters on that thread mentioned the struts they chose. The KYBs look good to me, but I bought Monroe Sensa-Tracks last year for the rear. I'd be glad to hear what you choose, and why.

MagicRat
05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
so i'm gonna go ahead and replace my front shocks, just wondering what i should replace. Basically, car rides like a tank, I feel and hear every bump. I also have the crack/clunk from the front coil spring when i first turn the wheel in the morning, and a steady clunking noise when i crank the wheel to make a sharp turn (not CV joint, noise is sitting still or moving) Im thinking this is the upper mount plate/bearings. I was thinking of getting some quick-struts but the price is pretty high, so if i were to get shocks should i replace the upper bearing mounts as well?

Don't cheap out. Worn/loose bearing plates are hazardous and will eventually ruin your front tires by throwing off the alignment. While you have it apart, replace the plates.

Also, if your ride is poor, your springs may be pooched as well. If you plane to keep the car for a few more years, get a 'loaded' strut, where a new spring is already installed. It's much quicker and easier than swapping over the old (potentially worn) springs.

Are you in Barrie, Ontario?? Canadian Tire has some affordable loaded struts.

BNaylor
05-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes, one of the things I wished I had done was buy the "bearing plates" for the rear struts.

The rear strut upper mounts do not have load bearings only the front.

To the OP it would help to post the current mileage.

What struts you use is dependent on what suspension/handling package you have. For example FE3 or FE2 based on the GM RPO code on the SPID label. The problem with aftermarket struts to include quick strut packages with strut coil springs and mounts is they do not match the original ride and handling like the OE GM struts and springs especially if you have a tuned GT suspension system. Plus aftermarket struts like Monroe or Gabriel wear out fast at around 40K miles so they do not last as long as the GM OE. A few Intrigue owners I know had good luck with the aftermarket KYB GR2 struts so that is a good choice.

And definitely replace the upper strut mount and load bearing assembly on the front struts.

harmankardon35
05-03-2009, 12:17 AM
good info, For record, i have a 98 with 300,000 (187k miles) km on it, and very likely the struts are original. I seen the Canadian tire flyer with the monroe struts, didn't see any pre-loaded quick struts but they are buy one get 2nd half price. Bearing plates are relatively cheap as well. Can anyone confirm that this loud "clunk" i get while turning the wheel is the upper bearing plate? Quite noticable, sounds like it resonates through the coil spring...

harmankardon35
05-04-2009, 01:37 AM
ok, so no local parts stores carry any pre-loaded struts. I can order them online for a pretty penny ($200/ea) but shipping and customs tax into canada will be hefty as well...not really worth it. Local parts store has monroe struts for 110/each, but the 2nd one is half price for this week. Bearing plates are $75 each. Looks like around $500 all inclusive with labour...not bad.

Jimmy Olsen
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Recently changed the front stuts on my '99 Intrigue with 104k miles. Noticed that the front end would dip on any braking and handling at 75+mph was getting weak. Total job cost $300. Definitely improved braking and handling.

fhofstra
08-29-2009, 08:32 AM
Just completed replacing all four struts and my front anti-sway bar on my 2000 GLS. First ordered and installed two front struts and bearing plates, all AC Delco, from Rockauto. Two things about the bearing plates: 1) I had to "adjust" the angle of the 3 bolts, since they would not fit in the predrilled holes of the strut towers, even though those holes allow for certain amount of slop factor. Not too hard; I used a vise, protecting the threads. The bolts are pressed into place, and adjust pretty easy, but it was disconcerting to discover it when trying to push the assembled strut up into place. So "prefit" the plate up in the strut tower before you attach it to the strut, to ensure it will fit. Much easier to "adjust" the bolts before you attach the bearing plate to the strut assembly. The plates were made in India, I think. Nothing surprising about that, of course. 2) Be aware that the bearing plate kit comes as two separate pieces. I didn't realize at first that the reason is because you have to remove and reuse a spacer piece from the old bearing plate that goes between the two new parts of the kit. In other words, there are three parts to the bearing plate, and you reuse the angled spacer from your old bearing plate.
While replacing the struts, I discovered the front anti-sway bar was damaged, so replaced it with the heavy-duty unit from GM Parts Direct, as LittleHoov described in another post.
Finally, I decided to replace the rear struts with the complete ready-struts and strut mounts from AC Delco, via Rockauto. Expensive, but the Monroe sensi-tracks I put on just a year ago ($30 each on sale) were already clunking a bit, and also, I wanted to replace the springs. Be aware that the rear ready-struts are a bit better deal than you might think, because each one includes a new strut mount. I should have realized that, but didn't, and ordered strut mounts also. So that's two $30 items returned to Rockauto.
Also replaced the water pump, serpentine belt, and both radiator hoses. All these parts looked to be in great shape, when I replaced them. New wheels, to finally get rid of the corrosion leaks, and an inner tie-rod and wheel alignment, and I hope I'm about done for the year. Lots of expense this year, but all good maintenance, and it's been a great car. I'm hoping for another 180K. Was always sorry they quit making Oldsmobiles, but I'm almost glad now, that Olds bowed out before GM became Government Motors.

Jimmy Olsen
08-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Recently changed the front stuts on my '99 Intrigue with 104k miles. Noticed that the front end would dip on any braking and handling at 75+mph was getting weak. Total job cost $300. Definitely improved braking and handling.

An update. In the morning, notice a creaking sound up front when I first turn the tires at very low speed. Nothing at high speeds or later in the day.

stretch80
02-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Intrigue Struts - My 99 Intrigue with 160,000 miles has the original struts. From reading others messages it sounds like replacment with new AC Delco struts front and back with new bearings for the front is the way to go. I plan on keeping the car another 100,000 miles or so. Question, why replace springs except to make the job easier because springs don't wear out unless overloaded. Any comments?

Add your comment to this topic!